• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

April 2005 theme challenge – 'Feeder Antics' (1 Viewer)

IanF

The monthly theme challenge for April is ‘Feeder Antics'.

The theme is further defined as being photographs of birds visiting feeders. This can be of birds in flight by feeders, perched by/on feeders (obviously so) or actually taking food from feeders.

The rules must be adhered to in order to avoid disqualification. The Moderators decision is final.

Rules –
1. Entry to have been taken in the last twelve months.
2. Date taken to be included in the entry - must at least include month and year.
3. Entry to be uploaded between 1st-21st
midnight
(GMT).
4. Your entry must contain a bird or birds that are obviously visiting feeders, whether perched on or nearby feeders or flying close to feeders in order to feed.

5. The bird must be wild and can be of any species.
6. Location taken to be included and must include at least the county/state and country.
7. One entry per member.
8. Only minor image adjustment is permitted, such as cropping, sharpening, contrast, and levels. The photo must not be otherwise greatly manipulated ie. objects should not be added / removed in order to enhance the shot - no composite images.
9. Once uploaded a photo is classed as an entry and cannot be replaced by another shot. However, you have until the closing date / time of this competition to ensure that your photo meets criteria.
10. The entry must be your own work and not previously submitted in a competition on this site.
11. The bird's common name must be given - though please add the scientific too!
12. Entries to be uploaded directly by entrants to the
Monthly Photo Competitions Gallery

A voting booth will be posted after the 21st. Please note 30 entries will be selected for addition to the voting booth for members to vote upon.

Comments on entries are permitted.

Any queries about this months competition, please post below.

Last edited:
Does the "Obviously visiting feeders" mean a feeder needs to be visible in the photo? I purposely frame birds near feeders in such a way that the feeder is not visible, as I think it is an enormous detraction from the image quality, so I have plenty of "birds at feeders", but none of them are "obviously at feeders" with a feeder in the image :)

I had the same thought. I also try to "get the feeder out of the picture", so I have several shots of birds visiting feeders but the feeder does not appear it the photo. However, I assume that, in this case, the feeder must be part of the composition.

Yes the feeder needs to be included else the photo would be just of a perched bird which could have been anywhere.

One of the aims of these theme challenges is to enable members of all levels of photographic equipment and skill to enter. Not everyone has equipment capable of closely taken bird photos and it will be interesting to see the variety of feeders members use around the world.

Hi, what constitutes a "feeder"? Does it have to be the hanging variety, or does a bird table/ground feeding station apply? I ask because I use a tray filled with a suet mixture positioned on the ground (as well as hanging feeders).

Chris

Hi Chris,

I left the definition open as it can be anything where food is provided, tables, hanging feeders, ground feeders, magic logs etc.

Your tray feeder would come well within the definition :t:

Hi Robert,

I'm afraid that wouldn't count. Really we are looking for examples of birds visiting feeders where food is provided, rather than one off feeding such as hand feeding birds.

simonheffer said:
Does feeding include drinking eg birdbaths?

Simon
Not for this month I'm afraid.

The proposed theme for May is 'Birds and Water' which will include bird bath photos.

Yes, I know. Some people haven't read the rules correctly - a feeder must be visible, not just a bird seen feeding.

Photos are left in place until the closing date and then those that don't qualify are weeded out and moed to thier appropriate forums. This will happen after 21st April, unless I am contacted by the entrant before this time.

It happens all the time with the other forums so there's a good chance that may have happened. If so then there is nothing wrong with the poster PM'ing me and the photo can be moved wihtout giving up their chance of entering this competition. It's only if no PM is received that such an entry will be disqualified.

Unfair rules Ian as Feeders aren't all that common in Australia, thank goodness

It encourages birds to rely on humans for food just for our amusement and pleasure (a little like banding/ringing).

Richard

Many people over here do provide food for the birds either in the garden or at feeding stations at nature reserves - hence the theme.

Winter feeding is regarded as very important over here to help the birds through the Winter - it certainly makes life easier for them when food is in short supply - I guess you may not have that problem in your area ;)

There are plenty more monthly themes in the pipeline for the coming month which may be more suitable for you.

RMD said:
Unfair rules Ian as Feeders aren't all that common in Australia, thank goodness

It encourages birds to rely on humans for food just for our amusement and pleasure (a little like banding/ringing).

Richard
I suggest you read some studies regarding feeding birds. Most scientific studies show that birds rely on food from feeders for a VERY small portion of their daily intake. It is an appreciated easy food source that supplements their daily diet. One study done on hummingbirds a few years back showed that on average a hummingbird derived less than 10% of its daily intake of nectar from feeders, even when feeders were plentiful, and in fact when one believes that 10 hummingbirds are visiting their feeders, it is in fact more like 100+ different individuals that visit sporadically throughout the day.

Feeding does not encourage birds to "rely on humans", it is only an added food source, and in fact during breeding, many birds completely abandon feeders because they change food sources based on what their young need (insects/protein instead of seeds for example).

Funny thing that, when something that is so entrenched in peoples minds, like feeders, gets challenged, the facts and figures come flying to justify.

It's "human interferance" period.

Maybe you may decide to go for a walk into the bush with your cameras instead of sitting on the back porch, that way any shots you get will really be "wildlife"

But what the heck, this thread is about the next photo competition, good luck to all that enter.

Richard

cfagyal said:
I suggest you read some studies regarding feeding birds. Most scientific studies show that birds rely on food from feeders for a VERY small portion of their daily intake. It is an appreciated easy food source that supplements their daily diet. One study done on hummingbirds a few years back showed that on average a hummingbird derived less than 10% of its daily intake of nectar from feeders, even when feeders were plentiful, and in fact when one believes that 10 hummingbirds are visiting their feeders, it is in fact more like 100+ different individuals that visit sporadically throughout the day.

Feeding does not encourage birds to "rely on humans", it is only an added food source, and in fact during breeding, many birds completely abandon feeders because they change food sources based on what their young need (insects/protein instead of seeds for example).

RMD said:
Funny thing that, when something that is so entrenched in peoples minds, like feeders, gets challenged, the facts and figures come flying to justify.

It's "human interferance" period.

Maybe you may decide to go for a walk into the bush with your cameras instead of sitting on the back porch, that way any shots you get will really be "wildlife"

But what the heck, this thread is about the next photo competition, good luck to all that enter.

Richard
A large portion of my shots come away from feeders. Maybe you should stop being so completely ignorant hmm? Your presence on the earth is interference by your definition...maybe you should eliminate yourself too? Maybe we should commit genocide..that would eliminate human inferference.

Fact of the matter is, broad general statements made in support of any argument need to be supported by factual information. Make a statement and claiming "thats the way it is" doesn't really get you very far. I get extremely sick of broad generalizations made against an entire classification of behaviour with the claim "You are all wrong, but I have no evidenciary information to support my claim, I'm just going to say your wrong". Funny how most of these people crawl into shells when confronted with information they can't defend against.

I'd be interested to hear how far "into the bush" you have actually gone...I have travelled to multiple countries and seen well over 1000 different species of birds, and dozens of different species of mammals, and hundreds of different insects and plants. Seems to me I have "travelled outside my backyard" and seen wildlife. Again, at least have some foundation to stand upon before making accusations. It'd sit better with people, and you wouldn't get your statements destroyed by better informed individuals like myself.

Good birding,

Dear all, bit messy this string. A couple of thoughts, though (although the last few posts, including this one, maybe should be moved to another string rather than in this photo one (which seemed pretty innocent at the start!). To Chris; Many animals, especially small ones such as hummers, live on the edge; a 10% drop in available food resource could easily mean the difference between survival or not. Regardless, the studies have not really been large or vertical enough to determine the effect of feeders. Suffice to say, good or bad, it's certainly interference; the house finch eye epidemic certainly seems to have been exacerbated via feeders concentrating birds. As far as "I'd be interested to hear how far "into the bush" you have actually gone" goes, let me assure just by living in Nhulunbuy RMD is about as far into the bush as you can go! There's the Outback, and there's the Outback, and then there's Nhulunbuy. But for RMD, ease off a bit, mate. There's actually nothing wrong with human amusement and pleasure, and if it benefits the birds either directly (and a benefit doesn't have to be ecological, it can be a benefit to individuals and still be worthwhile, and the jury is still out ecologically), or indirectly - many people have come to appreciate birds, and then conserving them, through backyard feeders - it seems pretty good to me. And, if you're on this site, you probably like birding - seems like a pleasure to me. Even researchers tend to have got into the field because they like it.

Cheers all,

Pemburung.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back