• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars as microscope - Minox BF 10x42 vs Pentax Papilio 6.5x21 (1 Viewer)

zzffnn

It is my pleasure to join this great forum here. I am trying to buying another binocular as microscope and need your kind help.

I currently have the Pentax Papilio 6.5x21 and like it as a microscope looking at insects. I want more magnifications (~10x) and brighter/bigger objectives, without interrupting natural behavior of insects (I have many good real microscopes for unnatural “manipulation”, if I want to do that).

Will Minox BF 10x42 provide more magnification, in theory (I am guessing not, if my calculation is correct)? I understand that Penta Papilio 6.5x21 has near focus of 0.5 meters, while Minox BF 10x42 has near focus of 1.2 meters.

I know Pentax Papilio has a 8x21 version and in macro mode its magnification is around 10x, but I want brighter/bigger objectives and 10x. I do not mind using binoculars on mini tripods.

Occasionally I use the Pentax for faraway objects too and it works fine for me, though that is not the main reason I bought it for (my main use for Pentax is close observation of insects and museum displays). I have an old Russian Red Star 10x42 for faraway objects, but its close focus is not usable as microscope.

Please kindly comment. You do not have to have hands-on experience with either binoculars – I think all you need is some decent understanding of optical theories and math. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=307351

The above thread has more comments. Basically Pentax Papilio 6.5x or 8.5x will work. But for higher magnification, you may have to use a monocular. The ones I am going to try are Orion 10-25x 42 and Orion 10x42. Minox does not provide much more magnification and its close focus is still a bit far (for a micro/macroscope) at 1.2m.

I'm having fun with the objective tube from a 7x50
held over (it levels prefectly) one side of 8x30 binoculars.

You focus by moving distance, like a microscope does.
Any instrument that close his little depth of field.

So....it looks from about 7 inches away and I would estimate the view is about 15x.
You can also tape a +3D camera closeup lens over.

Thank you Optic_Nut,

I did try use +2 diopter camera lens in front of my old Russian 10x42 binoculars. They work ok but focus wheel does not work (I have to move the binoculars to focus).

I bought an Orion 10-25x42 monocular as macroscope too. It works fine at 18x for my $66 paid and focuses at about 0.6 m away.

I wrote down more details in my other thread mentioned above.

Last edited:
Thank you Frank.

The Opticron has been mentioned at my other thread. I ruled it out as its objective is too small and its focuses too close such that insects would be scared.

I should have changed the title to " ...macroscope....." Instead of "..... microscope....". My apologies.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back