• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mucho lluvia in Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

Hamhed

My friends at Heleconia Island (8 km from Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui) emailed me to say they had recently gotten 9 inches of rain in 6 hours. It flooded their gardens, flattened their plantings and left a foot of mud everywhere. Their normally high season for the European crowd had just begun. Needless to say, they are devastated. Much of the rest of the country is getting the same weather:

http://www.ticotimes.net/2015/06/23/floodings-costa-rica-prompt-evacuation-450-people

The landslides causing road closures may change some birder's travel plans.

Steve

¡Caramba!

So that's where all the rain for the West coast went.

That closure of #32 near Braulio Carrillo would be particularly troublesome, I imagine - major artery for the whole Caribbean coast, if it's the road I'm thinking of...

Peter C.

Yeah, problems with rain lately, although Heliconia Island is in a floodplain, it's still such a shame for them. Road through Braulio was closed a couple of times but that is a regular occurrence in weather like this and they are quick to clean it up. That highway also now has much better markings on the pavement and posts in the middle of the road in places- big improvement for safe driving there.

This is the website I check for road conditions in CR- updated every day:
http://www.transito.go.cr/estadorutas/

It's kind of awful. Was up at Villablanca cloud forest near San Ramon over the weekend- fog, light rain, moderate rain, and heavy rain the entire time. One of my friends said that weather people are saying that this may be the new normal because of near constant El Nino effects.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back