• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

circling gull behavior-why? (2 Viewers)

lvn600

I have noticed at times 100's of gulls high in the sky circling round and round for long periods of time in the same area. Why are they doing this? Also I noticed a Great Blue Heron at a very high altitude gliding around a little bit like a hawk-why would a heron bother doing this? I'm sure these questions will seem silly to most of you experienced birders but I would like to know.

If you could fly wouldn't you like to gain high altitude and just cruise?
But it may be a strategy for finding food- looking for concentrations of other gulls at a food source for instance. I have observed herons soaring at very high altitudes only to gradually home in on my neighbours goldfish pond. That was the first time I had ever seen a heron soaring and the last time my neighbour ever had his pond unprotected by a net.

The gulls are probably doing one of two things:

If they are circling in tight circles, all in the same place, then they have caught a thermal, and are using the updraught either to gain height for free, or simply to ride on while studying the neighbourhood for feeding opportunities. This is also likely to be what the heron is up to.

If the gulls' "circling" is a rather more random motion, but visibly confined to a particular area, then you will likely find that there is a swarm of insects, and if you watch closely you will see the birds snatching them in the air. This phenomenon is quite commonly seen in England around late July and August when ants produce a brood of fertile winged offspring who climb to the highest point they can find, and fly off to form new nests. When I first saw this, I thought it odd to see gulls catching insects in the air - but then they are great opportunists, aren't they.

showaddy said:
The gulls are probably doing one of two things:

If they are circling in tight circles, all in the same place, then they have caught a thermal, and are using the updraught either to gain height for free, or simply to ride on while studying the neighbourhood for feeding opportunities. This is also likely to be what the heron is up to.

If the gulls' "circling" is a rather more random motion, but visibly confined to a particular area, then you will likely find that there is a swarm of insects, and if you watch closely you will see the birds snatching them in the air. This phenomenon is quite commonly seen in England around late July and August when ants produce a brood of fertile winged offspring who climb to the highest point they can find, and fly off to form new nests. When I first saw this, I thought it odd to see gulls catching insects in the air - but then they are great opportunists, aren't they.
That definitely answers my question because the gullls were moving randomly but in a limited area in great numbers.--Thanks

That definitely answers my question because the gullls were moving randomly but in a limited area in great numbers.--Thanks
Just saw a flock circling noisily overhead in Roseville. Much too high to be looking (they’re back!) effectively for food on the ground. So close together they must spend a good deal of attention on the other members so as not to collide. (Circling in the same direction must minimize this risk.)

Riding an updraft makes sense! (Hadn’t thought of that.). Just to save energy? No. Not when they’re only going higher and higher to no where. I say they’ve located a swarm of insects also caught in that same updraft. The noise might be joy for a good easy meal as well as, again, helping to avoid bumping into neighbors.

Thank you for the contributions from long ago bird enthusiasts who help me think. :)

In addition to suggestions above it could be a pre-mating season behaviour especially if calling a lot, or after a response to a disturbance or predator having disturbed them. Without knowing the specifics it's hard to say, but certainly the air can be full of calling gulls at times - most people wouldn't necessarily notice. Reacting quickly as a birder to a sudden change in gulls behaviour like this can be a good way to pick up on a passing raptor or heron.

EDIT: And yes, welcome to BF ;-) Hadn't noticed it wasn't April and 15 years since the original post!

Just saw a flock circling noisily overhead in Roseville. Much too high to be looking (they’re back!) effectively for food on the ground. So close together they must spend a good deal of attention on the other members so as not to collide. (Circling in the same direction must minimize this risk.)

Riding an updraft makes sense! (Hadn’t thought of that.). Just to save energy? No. Not when they’re only going higher and higher to no where. I say they’ve located a swarm of insects also caught in that same updraft. The noise might be joy for a good easy meal as well as, again, helping to avoid bumping into neighbors.

Thank you for the contributions from long ago bird enthusiasts who help me think. :)
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

The local Black-headed here circle to catch insects when swarming. It is also a good indicator of high pressure for settled weather as the invertebrates require these conditions to disperse.

Laurie -

I was surprised to learn thar terns also do the catching flying insects thing. I managed to get three Sandwich Terns on my garden list by chance by looking up to view a group of Black Headed Gulls feeding on flying ants.

noticed gulls "wafting" in loose circles, wings extended, but not flapping, endlessly riding around apparently on sir pockets/currents thoughtfully provided by a nearby windmill. (3 blades) they were not close enough to get sucked in, not diving to ground. it was getting near dusk. They were not extremely high, but were in close enough proximity
to tell their current was from the windmill. They did not seem stressed at all. They actuallly looked like they were having fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back