• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted Flycatcher, why so late? (1 Viewer)

Richard W

always look forward to Spotted Fly's returning to nest here but always the last migrants to return, is often well into May before I start seeing them regularly, last year they were exceptionally late and had almost given up on them.

found some info on their migration pattern but just wondered if there is any known reason why they arrive back so late??

Yes, they are one of the last migrants to arrive. I've always wondered why too. I assume it's something to do with the availability of the particular insects they eat (whatever they are), but I'm only guessing.

assume Pied Fly's have a very similar diet, dont they arrive much earlier?

have seen reports of Pieds on Birdguides already but suspect a Spotted now would be very unusual, dont think I've ever seen one here in April, last year it was into June before I started seeing pairs.

food would be the logical one, but it still seems very late considering how early some insect eaters come back.....

Spott flys have been getting gradually later in Notts in the last few years. To be specific, their general arrival is later although their average first date remains unchanged at around first week of May.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back