• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Seville area (1 Viewer)

Cuckoo-shrike

I will be in Seville for a few days in late October. I would really like to see:

Marbled Duck
Spanish Imperial Eagle
Black Vulture
Red-knobbed Coot
Pin-tailed Sandgrouse
Black-bellied Sandgrouse
Great Bustard
Moustached Warbler

Can anyone give me some sites please? I don't want to travel too far, e.g. all the way up to the Trujillo area, if possible. Not asking a lot am I ;) ?

Many thanks.

Aquila said:
I will be in Seville for a few days in late October. I would really like to see:

Marbled Duck
Spanish Imperial Eagle
Black Vulture
Red-knobbed Coot
Pin-tailed Sandgrouse
Black-bellied Sandgrouse
Great Bustard
Moustached Warbler

Can anyone give me some sites please? I don't want to travel too far, e.g. all the way up to the Trujillo area, if possible. Not asking a lot am I ;) ?

Many thanks.

I would be interested in the replies to this request also. Marbled Duck, Red-knobbed Coot & Spanish Imperial Eagle will be on Donana which isn't too far from Seville. The others I don't know.

I would hope that John Butler will pick up on this thread as he should know the answer to most of your queries.

Hi Andy,
Spanish Imperial Eagle, Pin-tailed Sandgrouse, Red-Knobbed Coot and even Marbled Duck are possible in the Donana area. Moustached Warbler is very unlikely (occasional bird seen in winter around Donana apparently).
To stand a good chance of Black Vulture, Black-bellied Sandgrouse & Great Bustard you will have to drive up into Extremadura. It is not too far to get to La Serena in Badajoz province where all 3 can be seen with luck. If you want to try for Caceres province it takes just over 3 hours driving to reach Trujillo from Seville & a further hour to get to Monfrague.
Spanish Imperial Eagle can often be seen from the track that leads west from the Jose Antonio Valverde Centre towards the Coto del Rey. This track ends at a locked gate which leads into the Parque Nacional -scanning from this point often yields SIE. Pin-tailed Sandgrouse are often seen on the north side of this track about 1.5 km west of the JAV centre whilst Red-knobbed Coots (without neck collars) were breeding at the Lucio del Lobo about 2km east of the JAV centre last spring (where we also saw Marbled Duck). The other possible site for Marbled Duck & Red-Knobbed Coot is at the shallow laguna (Canada De Rianzuela) adjacent to the Dehesa de Abajo which also has a huge natural White Stork colony, nesting Booted Eagles, lots of Bee-eaters & Great Spotted Cuckoo.
Check out John Butler's website for a list of the birding sites around Donana.
Good luck,
Steve

I tried for, but failed to see Crested Coot at Laguna de Medina last week. However I had three birds (admitedly all with neck rings) at Espera (north of Arcos de la Frontera - go though the village turning left for Las Cabezas de S Juan & following signs on left shortly thereafter to the reserve - the birds were on the first lake). Others have given more info than I am able to for SIE Marbled Teal, etc., but for Black Vulture I'd suggest a jaunt out to the Aracena area (one-and-a half hours or so NW from Seville). I found them very easy around the village of Almonaster de la Real, but anywhere in the western part of this area seemed excellent, John

Aquila said:
Marbled Duck
Spanish Imperial Eagle
Black Vulture
Red-knobbed Coot
Pin-tailed Sandgrouse
Black-bellied Sandgrouse
Great Bustard
Moustached Warbler

Hi Andy.

Thanks for the e-mail. I will answer your question about tour dates separately, when I have a bit more time.

A lot of good advice re. sites has been given, but we are talking about OCTOBER. Things will be different then from the breeding season.

The Marbled Ducks. (2 on El Rocio Marsh today) Most will be gone by October. They are usually only here during the breeding season, although a few overwinter at Brazo del Este, 15 kms south of Seville and a few other lagoons, mainly in Cadiz province.

S.Imp Eagle. There are only 7 breeding pairs left in Donana, all within the National Park. You really have to be lucky with these. Excellent sightings are made occasionally, but more often they are just seen as dots in the sky. Steve G's location is as good as any for this species, although anywhere close to the park boundaries can produce results.

BlacK (Monk) Vulture. Very occasionally seen in the Donana region, but I would put your chances of seeing one here at about 1%. In three years of bird tours I have seen them 4 times in the Donana region.
John Cantello has given the best site for these.

Red-knobbed Coot. Mainly a spring/summer visitor but some birds remain throughout the year. Two good sites are at a small water scrape beside the La Caletilla visitors centre at the Marismas de Odiel and at the Laguna Primera de Palos, 10 kms east of Huelva.

Pin-tailed Sandgrouse. Winter flocks begin to form in late September/early October. Unfortunately, they tend to move around a bit, so finding them is never a simple matter. The Dehesa de Pilas and alongside the Caño de Guadiamar are two favoured locations.

Black-bellied Sandgrouse. To have chances of seeing this species you should be prepared to travel a long way. Steve G's advice is good, but there is also a chance at the Castro Verde - Mertola area in Portugal.

Great Bustard. These occupy the same territories that I have outlined for the B-b Sandgrouse.

Moustached Warblers. Resident in Donana but very scarce. Can be found in numerous dense reedbeds in the Donana region, but I would put your chances of seeing one at about 1%, unless you were very lucky. I have only ever recorded 3.

Regards from Doñana.

John.

Many thanks Reader, Steve, John and John.
It looks like I have a chance of 5 out of my 8 in the Donana/Seville area. Having done a bit more research, it looks like I could also see White-headed Duck (a tick) and two on my "Category B" list (saw them donkey's years ago): Bonelli's Eagle and Black-winged Kite. Any further advice on these species?
What is the E102 like running north from Seville - fast dual carriageway or windy single carriageway?
Thanks again.

Black-shouldered Kite should be very likely in the Cano de Guadiamar area as I believe a few pairs have nested in the area this year.

White-headed Duck is easily seen at Laguna di Medina, east of Jerez, although JB will be able to tell you if they are seasonal there (I saw them in April).

E

Edward said:
White-headed Duck is easily seen at Laguna di Medina, east of Jerez, although JB will be able to tell you if they are seasonal there (I saw them in April).

E

There were none there in March this year (!) but they were plentiful at the laguna de tarelo near bonanza on the east bank of the guadalquivir.

Hi Aquila.

No Need To Go To Extremadura (quite Far From Sevilla!)

For Great Bustard, Little Bustard An So, Try A Triangle Among Jerena, Olivares And Aznalcollar (w Not Far From Sevilla). This Is An Area For Sandgrouses Too, But You Can Also Try Between La Lantejuela And Osuna (e Not Far From Sevilla).

For Imperial Eagle, The Best Place Is DoÑana, But Have A Go In Sierra Norte De Sevilla, Around El Pedroso, Villanueva Del Rio Y Minas. It Is A Very Very Nice Area.

We had our week in Seville last week, our first visit to this part of Spain.
We had a very relaxing time based in a beautiful city, combining sight-seeing with plenty of birding in glorious weather.

On Monday we joined John Butler and four others and took advantage of his intimate knowledge of the region to the south of the city, toward the Coto Donana. He knew just where to find masses of birds from the maze of dirt roads that criss-cross the area. Highlights of the day were six Black-shouldered Kites, a Spanish Imperial Eagle being mobbed by a Booted Eagle, 90+ Glossy Ibis, six Black Storks, vast numbers of White Storks, Little Egrets, Cattle Egrets and Night Herons, and Calandra and Lesser Short-toed Larks.

Tuesday we headed north into the hills, the Sierra de Aracena to be precise, as recommended by John Cantelo. We had super views of four Black Vultures to the west of Almonaster la Real. We met a local conservation officer who told us there are about 70 pairs between here and the Portuguese border.

The next day was a "necessary" tick-fest visit to Cañada de los Pajaros, a kind of mini Martin Mere, where they run a captive breeding programme for Red-knobbed Coots. Like all these places the presence of tame jobs attracts lots of wild ones too and we were assured that those birds without collars were well and truly wild. Three Marbled Ducks also proved their credentials by swimming away from us so they've gone down in the book. We were glad to get away however: as if a cage containing single Magpie, Raven, Carrion Crow and some exotic corvid (what on earth is that all about?) wasn't enough to deter us, the presence of a horde of school-kids chucking sticks and stones at the ducks in full view of their disinterested minders sent us fleeing to the car-park.

That afternoon we ventured on to the vast, gently undulating plains north of Sanlucar la Mayor, in a half-hearted attempt to find some bustards, our chances of which I rated as pretty slim. I was right, but the flock of Rock Sparrows was good.

Anxious to seek further solace from the uninteresting flatlands and the innumerable building sites, on Thursday we drove north-west to the Parque Natural Sierre Norte. It's a beautiful area, wooded rolling hills and little traffic. After watching some Thekla Larks I just noticed a large raptor alighting on a distant tree-top. As I got the scope on it another dropped in to join it. The white shoulder patches were clearly visible. Realising that the road passed quite close to their tree, we drove further along and enjoyed prolonged views of this adult pair of Sp Imp Eagles. Nice one Jose Javier!

The weather on our last day went downhill somewhat, but after a final wet walk in the city we revisited the plains between Olivares and Gerena, happy to sit in the car and watch the rain fall. Then the sun came out, I set up the 'scope and was immediately watching three Great Bustards! Jose, you're a genius and I owe you a six-pack of San Miguel! Thanks also to those who provided information.

95 species - including five lifers - without trying too hard!
Some very poor digi-pics/video-grabs attached.

Attachments

• BVulture 4.jpg
    BVulture 4.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 281
  • SIE1.jpg
    SIE1.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 276
  • SGShrike1SpainOct05.jpg
    SGShrike1SpainOct05.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 254
  • GBustard3SpainOct05.jpg
    GBustard3SpainOct05.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 295
  • RKnCoot.SpainOct05.jpg
    RKnCoot.SpainOct05.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 253
Aquila said:
We had our week in Seville last week, our first visit to this part of Spain.
We had a very relaxing time based in a beautiful city, combining sight-seeing with plenty of birding in glorious weather.

On Monday we joined John Butler and four others and took advantage of his intimate knowledge of the region to the south of the city, toward the Coto Donana. He knew just where to find masses of birds from the maze of dirt roads that criss-cross the area. Highlights of the day were six Black-shouldered Kites, a Spanish Imperial Eagle being mobbed by a Booted Eagle, 90+ Glossy Ibis, six Black Storks, vast numbers of White Storks, Little Egrets, Cattle Egrets and Night Herons, and Calandra and Lesser Short-toed Larks.

Tuesday we headed north into the hills, the Sierra de Aracena to be precise, as recommended by John Cantelo. We had super views of four Black Vultures to the west of Almonaster la Real. We met a local conservation officer who told us there are about 70 pairs between here and the Portuguese border.
The next day was a "necessary" tick-fest visit to Cañada de los Pajaros, a kind of mini Martin Mere, where they run a captive breeding programme for Red-knobbed Coots. Like all these places the presence of tame jobs attracts lots of wild ones too and we were assured that those birds without collars were well and truly wild. Three Marbled Ducks also proved their credentials by swimming away from us so they've gone down in the book. We were glad to get away however: as if a cage containing single Magpie, Raven, Carrion Crow and some exotic corvid (what on earth is that all about?) wasn't enough to deter us, the presence of a horde of school-kids chucking sticks and stones at the ducks in full view of their disinterested minders sent us fleeing to the car-park.
That afternoon we ventured on to the vast, gently undulating plains north of Sanlucar la Mayor, in a half-hearted attempt to find some bustards, our chances of which I rated as pretty slim. I was right, but the flock of Rock Sparrows was good.
Anxious to seek further solace from the uninteresting flatlands and the innumerable building sites, on Thursday we drove north-west to the Parque Natural Sierre Norte. It's a beautiful area, wooded rolling hills and little traffic. After watching some Thekla Larks I just noticed a large raptor alighting on a distant tree-top. As I got the scope on it another dropped in to join it. The white shoulder patches were clearly visible. Realising that the road passed quite close to their tree, we drove further along and enjoyed prolonged views of this adult pair of Sp Imp Eagles. Nice one Jose Javier!
The weather on our last day went downhill somewhat, but after a final wet walk in the city we revisited the plains between Olivares and Gerena, happy to sit in the car and watch the rain fall. Then the sun came out, I set up the 'scope and was immediately watching three Great Bustards! Jose, you're a genius and I owe you a six-pack of San Miguel! Thanks also to those who provided information.
95 species - including five lifers - without trying too hard!

Hi Andy.

Great report and so pleased to hear that you got the Bustards and Black Vultures.

The day after your tour we saw a flock of Rock Sparrows in the Corredor Verde (B's Kite area) and three days later we had the arrival of hundreds of Common Cranes in the Doñana region.

Shame that your visit to the Cañada de los Pájaros was marred by the stupidity of so-called teachers that couldn't control their charges. Still, you got the Crested Coots and Marbled Ducks okay. Did you also see the Ferruginous Ducks? There were a dozen or so there the last time I visited, which was two days before your tour.

Sounds like you got good advice from both John Cantelo and José Javier. Well done with the eagles and vultures.

Give my best wishes to Helen.

Regards from Doñana.

John.

Hi John - yes we saw some Ferruginous Ducks there. I think the projects at Cañada de los Pajaros are really worthwhile but they need to tighten up on their visitor policy. That school party should have been accompanied by a staff member.
It was a super week, well and truly kick-started by our day out with you. You sure worked hard and I would highly recommend your services.
All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back