• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just a bit of fun (1 Viewer)

tf1044x

This is a photo taken by me. So for the people who like a challenge, can anyone ID this.

Attachments

• ~lwf0000 copy (2).jpg
    ~lwf0000 copy (2).jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 311
I have got to go with John J, Sanderling. The patterning of the wing feathers is wrong for Temminck's, and the legs look near enough black, or too dark for Temminck's anyway. Red-necked Stint or Little Stint can probably be ruled out on bill length, and I can't see a hind toe anyway.

Steve

If it were not for the leg color, I would call that bird a Least Sandpiper if I came across it in the US.

Of course, this bird is not a Least Sandpiper, or at least I hope it is not.

What struck me about this bird was the very brown plumage overall, this is another characteristic I might associate with Least Sandpiper.

To cut to the chase, I am feeling this bird is more of a White-rumped/Baird's Sandpiper. Which of the two is a more likely vagrant in the UK? I am just guessing this photo was taken there.

If I had to choose, I would say White-rumped because of the slight streaking along the flanks, yet the browness of the plumage is not something I have seen very much in this species.

Maybe this is a stint or other peep after all, but either way don't reveal the answer just yet!

~GECSOS

Looking at the primary projection and streaking on the flanks and though the head is in shadow there seems to be a supercillium it could be White-rumped Sandpiper, but it does not look long enough, this could be down to the angle the bird is at.

Having probably never seen this bird, and definitely never having seen the bird I'm about to suggest, I'll nevertheless take a punt on Baird's Sandpiper (with some help from my new Collins).

Id say little stint although the breast banding reminds me of Bairds Sandpiper? Its too chestnut in colour for teminks or sanderling.

Baird's is also a very good possibility. Where this bird is feeding is more typical of a Baird's, White-rumped is prone to feed in waters at least up to their legs. Baird's is a grassland species in its normal range, and during migration, can be found feeding on sandy beaches and similar areas.

The only thing I really don't like about Baird's is the breast pattern and wing length. Maybe its just angle, but its wings look fairly short for a Baird's. They seem to fit WR a little better. Its breast pattern seems to demarcated, but that could also be due to the angle of the photo.

~GECSOS

Hi,
The photo was taken in November a couple of years ago, it was on the beach at San Clemente, Argentina. This was one of an estimated 3000 White-rumped Sandpipers that were running around at the time. Thanks to all those who had a go.
Trev

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back