• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A new camera for Macro pictures whats good (1 Viewer)

stevejelf

France
Hi
To date I have only used Olympus cameras years back a slr and more recently digital bridge cameras, it time to update
I wish to photograph butterflies and insects for example I wish to improve on the attached, I am used to getting close to the subject often less than 3 cm but am getting old and wish to forget sneaking upon the prey

I have a budget of 800 pounds sterling

My thought are a nude Canon EDS 700D and a lens EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM any thoughts suggestion please

Steve

Attachments

• P9250039 (Medium).JPG
    P9250039 (Medium).JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Hi
To date I have only used Olympus cameras years back a slr and more recently digital bridge cameras, it time to update
I wish to photograph butterflies and insects for example I wish to improve on the attached, I am used to getting close to the subject often less than 3 cm but am getting old and wish to forget sneaking upon the prey

I have a budget of 800 pounds sterling

My thought are a nude Canon EDS 700D and a lens EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM any thoughts suggestion please

Steve
I have a 550 EOS and a 60 mm EFS and am happy with them, here is an example photo
https://www.flickr.com/photos/14586608@N08/23956497563/in/album-72157658403104693/

Saying that the 100mm is quite good. Is it the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM you are getting?

Hi davholla

Thanks for a reply, the first in nearly 300 views, it is my intention to buy a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lense but at the high cost do you think its worth it, more importantly is a Canon EDS 700D a good combination are there better ,cheaper combinations, My love is Orchids and Butterflies

Thank you
Steve

ps This is the mischief I wish to improve on

Attachments

• a  few mates (Large).jpg
    a few mates (Large).jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
I love the 100L, it is a superb lens. I have used a number of macro lenses over the years and it is definitely my favourite. I use mine on a 7D or and EOS M (same sensor as the 650D) and am happy with it on either camera so I am sure it will work well with the 700D.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back