• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guide required (1 Viewer)

monkir

We are heading to Scottsburgh south of Durban in April. Does anyone know of a bird guide who would be willing to take us out on some trips please? Oribi Gorge and iSimangaliso Wetlands are main aims. Also Eshowe if possible.
Any other suggestions welcomed. Thanks

Hi,
Firstly Scottburgh is down the road from where I live, a 30 minute drive. Distances are have to be taken into account, Oribi Gorge is a further 2 hour drive down the coast toward Port Shepstone - this could be a day outing and finding a guide I am not too sure about.

iSimangaliso Wetlands area closest to St Lucia village where you will be able to get accommodation, and is about a 4 hour drive from Scottburgh and will require at least 4 days to enjoy.

Suggest making inquiry https://www.facebook.com/BirdLifePortNatal/ for finding guides. Tours I found here http://birdingecotours.com/tours/destination/country/south-africa

If you don't mind driving, rent a vehicle and careful planning you would be able to see quite a lot. Drive during day light hours only. I am not affiliated to any birding clubs nor the links I have given above.

Enjoy your visit, April/May really are a wonderful time to come over.
Joan

Thanks for you advice Joan. Sorry for the delay replying. I didn't get my usual email notification.
My husbands not keen on driving so was pleased to read about the TC Robertson reserve within walking distance of our hotel. Other than that we may use taxis. We definitely want to go to Oribi Gorge and the hotel will be running a trip up Sani Pass which we will do.
I will follow your links and see what else is out there,Thanks again for your help!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back