• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Equador on the cheap? (1 Viewer)

cassowary

Hello,
I was going to nip over to Ecuador for 7-11 days, but don't want huge on the ground expenses... Is it possible have a comfortable experience and view birds and wildlife without costing a lot....

I might ditch this one anyway as getting ebird lists and 'call prep' done in time might just take the fun out of it.

but if you have birded Ecuador on a budget please let me know...

I'll look through cloud birders.....

Hello,
I was going to nip over to Ecuador for 7-11 days, but don't want huge on the ground expenses... Is it possible have a comfortable experience and view birds and wildlife without costing a lot.... but if you have birded Ecuador on a budget please let me know...

Birding "on a budget" can encompass a wide range of experiences. My group of three birders went with arranged transfers between destinations and we spent considerably less than birders on a tour, but more than birders who opt for self-guided birding and public transport. Wildsumaco Lodge arranged a couple of the more satisfactory transfers (to the lodge & from the lodge to Cabanas San Isidro), and we were also satisfied with the driver & van arranged through Mindo guide Julia Patiño. I would also recommend contacting Mercedes or Xavier with Neblina Forest.

With the time constraints cited, I personally would opt for no more than two destinations, one of which would be a return to Wildsumaco Lodge for perhaps four nights, followed by a similar stay in Mindo. I would allow one full day for the transfer, which would include birding Papallacta Pass.

Gary H

It depends on what you find comfortable.
When I was in Ecuador (6 years ago), we visited lodges to bird the trails, we did some roadside birding, we asked if we could stay in the worker's/guide accommodation for cheap,...

Sites that were free / cheap: Papallacta (transport up there), Guango (5 dollar for trails), San Isidro (5 dollar for trails), Huacamayos (5 dollar for trails), Mashpi (free), Wild Sumaco and Bellavista (20 dollar for staying at the worker's house / research station), Yanacocha (5 dollar for trails), Milpe (5 dollar for trails).

More expensive were the Selva river lodges, Canandé, ...

I don't think that some of my options can still be had these days (e.g. some lodges do not allow non-staying birders on their trails anymore), but budget birding should still be possible for those who are not afraid to walk

The road up to the Bellavista ridge from Rio Alambi is a public road and used for birding by all who stay at Bellavista / Tandayapa. Same for the old Nono-Mindo road. The upper Loreto road can still be good for a lot of stuff people search in Sumaco these days.

Temmie thanks for the info,

I saw the opportunity for a quick trip to Ecuador in just over a week (also I'm currently at 6.5k ft so no acclimatization), but I really didn't have time for any prep (I've never been) and didn't want to get sucked into unforeseen costs. As it turns out I need to be in Singapore then anyway.

I think I'll take the time to prep for Ecuador and have that in my back pocket

The buses in Ecuador are actually pretty good for getting around cheaply. I spent a summer working at San Isidro as a volunteer (that was free!) and travelled to Guango, the Loreto Road and Coca (to go to Sani) by bus all for under five dollars. The lodges however are really not cheap.

The lodges however are really not cheap.

I broke from my typical budget inclinations during my first trip last November to Ecuador (also my first trip south of Costa Rica) with stays at Wildsumaco Lodge & Cabanas San Isidro. The three members of my group agreed that the benefit of staying in the midst of large refuges with quality habitat made that the right choice, and the rates per night weren't all that bad for inclusive packages. However, we reverted back to form in Mindo at Yellow House Lodge (which is also reasonably well suited for birding in decent habitat).

Gary H

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back