• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony DSC to Kowa TSN Adapter (1 Viewer)

Robert L Jarvis

Robert L Jarvis
I originally bought a Canon 300D thinking this would be good for Digi'ing. After much research I have to say that a DSLR is totally impractical for all the now obvious reasons, weight, clumsy bracket can't be set up quickly. My son in law gave me his old Sony DSC-75 and so I started trying this by hand holding. There would be some decent shots but mostly out of focus or not centred. Hand holding a camera and operating it at the same time is an extremely tricky operation.

I had looked round at new cameras and which are now very good, but I have decided to stay with my Sony 75 for the moment. Therefore an adapter was required. I found some plastic tubing left over from my pond filter system which fits nicely over the eyepiece with lens cap removed and in which the extending lens of the camera also fits. This was trimmed upto size and I now have an adapter which cost nothing, can be put on in seconds ready for use!

See photos and one taken of an alarm box 200 yards away. I still get vignetting but to eliminate this I suspect I would need a new camera or new scope. My scope is a TSN4, 18 years old but still damn good and in a recent back to back test with an 85 Diascope you could not see £800 difference.

Robert

Last edited:
Hi Robbert - read your article with keen interest as I am currently using my DSC-S85 for digiscoping purposes. I use mine in combination with an EagleEye OpticZoom (5x) lens to which a sometimes attach a 2x teleconverter to double the range. When using the latter though, I do notice some fringing effects at times. Naturally, I also have vignetting but this can be dealt with by taking pictures in the highest resolution mode (my camera is 4.1mp) and then cropping it with software but you can also do this.....

In the review mode, zoom in on the selected picture until the vignetting effect disappears (or practically non-existant) and then select trimming. In my case, I select a lower resolution (1280x960) than the original 4.1 megapixel picture. At this stage, I am actually taking a photo of a photo. How far you zoom into the original picture is a matter of personal taste. Remember, that the disadvantage of zooming is that the more you apply, the greater the loss in quality of the original.

My forum article: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=27906 also refers.

For me personally, it provided my faithful DSC-S85 with an extra lease of life and its added a considerable ability to be creative.

Herman
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/18590

Hi Hauer
Thank you for reply.

I have trimmed shots in the camera exactly like you say. I mentioned this in a thread on here about doing this rather than cropping in the computer. Basically i was poo-pooed, by one person who stated all that I was doing was enlarging the photo digitally!! so where was the benefit.

My camera is now quite old and is only 3.3mp and 3x optical zoom. Even so with the TSN4 scope can still get some very good shots.

Of course I really wish there was some easy not to heavy solution to using the Canon 300d.

Cheers

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back