• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to connect 10D to Swarovski scope..... (1 Viewer)

Paul23

Hello All,

Sorry for the basic question but I do need help.

My father has purchased a swarovski ATS 80 HD and we have been trying to connect his Canon 10D and my 20D to it.

Being a keen astrophotographer I purchased a swarovski adapter to allow my astro 1 1/4 pieces of kit to be used with the scope. The problem with this is when we try to achieve prime focus we do not have enough inward travel on the scope. We have managed to do eyepiece projection using this method but with limited results.

We has used the scope with a smaller digital camera looking through the 20-60x eyepiece but this adapter is a little flimsy for the Canons.

We are wanting a goos solid method of attaching the camera to the scope. We would prefer to use the scope as the lens (prime photography) but would settle for eyepice projection.

I have seen something on the american sites called a TLS 800 is this what we are lookinf for?? If so best place in UK to purchase would also be helpfull.

Thanks in advance

Paul

I can't help much but the TLS800 converts the scope into an 800mm prime lens though not as flexible and from some reviews I've read not that well. It would also only give you x16 magnification.

Yes,as Paul has mentioned the t mount,turns the Slr 's into digiscoping equipment as such.The only thing is,there is no zoom,you just focus as you would via the scope as normal.

Here's a way I use my D100 with a Swaro (65 HD): I use a 50mm lens (lately I use a 45/2.8 lens) attached to camera (for metering), a "home made" adapter, the x20-60 zoom eyepiece and the scope. The whole setup is attached to a Nikon UBK support, holding the camera and the scope as one piece for stability.

Attachments

• DSC04699f.jpg
    DSC04699f.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Hi Paul,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators welcome to Bird Forum :t:

I am tempted to go down the DSLR route myself, but not yet made the decision. I've been reading up on the various ways a DSLR can be attached to the scope. As has been said there seems to be two routes - either mount the camera direct to the scope body using the T mount and photo adapter which in effect makes the scope a short telephoto lens - which I'm a bit dubious about the benefits. Or as Yossi says, use a 50mm prime lens coupled to the scope eyepiece so you can make use of the eyepiece magnification. Yossi made his own adapter but I suspect the Swarovski DCA adapter may be suitable for this or if not, the DCB which uses the tripod bush.

I'm only at the research stage and have never tried it myself.

Swaro DCA (zoom?) adapter and the Canon 350

Having followed this and some of the other related threads I was pleased to see the option of making use of my existing DCA as it comes with a 52mm plate. There are several EF lenses that would appear to fit with 52 mm filter threads that include;
50mm*f1.8, 35mm*f2, 50mm*f2.5 macro or 28mm*f2.8.

I think the standard 50mm f1.8 looks like cheap and light weight option so I feel a visit to Jessops coming on to try out the setup before I change my camera yet again. The thought of WYSIWYG and instant shutter response has me quite excited after several months with the Coolpix?

jim

Last edited:
The 50mm f1,8 is certainly what I'd be considering if I ever get around to buying a DSLR as it means you still get to use the eyepeice magnification in conjunction with the scope body, though you still lack the optical zoom of the likes of the CP4500 which doubles or trebles the magnification.

I don't know where the 50 mm fits into this range whether it's equivalent to 0x zoom of the CP4500 or maybe even 2x or whatever?

I am not sure about any zoom effect from the 50mm but hope the faster 1.8 lense will allow me to use some of the scopes 20-60 zoom lense adjustment to compensate? If I do buy the 350 I will probably keep the Coolpix as the pocket camera so I may do some comparison pictures at some point? I have also been told that the Canon produces very useable results at ISO 400 so there is a further 2 stop gain on the Coolpix that will help on cloudy days? I will keep the board updated with my finding..........or failures.

Isn't it true the motto for digi-scoping is;

take only pictures...................leave only credit card details?

jiminlondon99 said:
I am not sure about any zoom effect from the 50mm but hope the faster 1.8 lense will allow me to use some of the scopes 20-60 zoom lense adjustment to compensate? If I do buy the 350 I will probably keep the Coolpix as the pocket camera so I may do some comparison pictures at some point? I have also been told that the Canon produces very useable results at ISO 400 so there is a further 2 stop gain on the Coolpix that will help on cloudy days? I will keep the board updated with my finding..........or failures.

Isn't it true the motto for digi-scoping is;

take only pictures...................leave only credit card details?

The f1.8 lets you get up to about 40x before you get bright circle developing in the middle of the picture covering most of the view: or at least I did.

My hobby isn't photography it's spending money...

Thanks for the feedback, fortunately Jessops were out of stock of the 350d so I went to the London Camera Exchange in the Strand. The salesman there felt that the weight of the camera being held on the thread designed to support a filter was, pushing the design specification just a little. It is perfectly do-able but thinking of how I like to use the camera to move the telescope on the tripod I decided on plan B. I tried out the Swaro TLS 800mm adapter with the 350d an I am a convert. I have traded in the DCA adapter and the Coolpix 4500 and remote control will follow on Monday, unless anyone wants to offer £250 for the camera, remote and 2 Nikon batteries? I have attached a picture taken using the Swaro 65 HD and my new 350d with the TLS800 and a 2x converter in cloudy conditions @ ISO 1600 1/40 second. I find the whole set up more satisying and the optical view through the camera, for me, marks the end of using comacts with the scope. FYI the camera has to be set to Aperture Priority that cannot be varied but you can adjust the speed and ISO.
PS I should add it was nice to get the expertise of the informed salesman AND be able to try all the various bits together on a tripod before purchase.

Attachments

• iso 1600 net.jpg
    iso 1600 net.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back