• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Peru (1 Viewer)

Steve Keen

Planning to head to the north next January, and whilst I'm perfectly happy to use public transport (as I did for 25 days in Colombia this year) I was wondering if it's possible to get to all/most of the important sites with an economy hire car (any clearance problems, etc?). It's about all my meagre budget will stretch to.

Also anyone have any idea where I might pick up a copy of the Valqui site guide for less than the £60 being quoted on Amazon.

Thanks in advance

Steve

yes you can.
If I were you and doing this, I would rent a car in Tarapoto, go up to Abra Patricia and take the side road to Leymebamba / Cajamarca / ... (and return along the same road). Almost everything on this circuit is well-paved these days.
for Valqui, send me a personal message with your email.

If it's anything like it was last year, Chaparrí will be difficult with an ordinary car (though maybe not impossible - but the original track was washed away the previous year). Can't think of anywhere else you couldn't do easily.

Cheers guys

If it comes to it that I have to also hire a taxi or the like for one or two sites then so be it, but it seems that the cost of a small car in Peru is low enough that I can stretch to it, and the added flexibility it allows would be worth the cost.

Steve

As Steve and I have discussed today during email conversation - one can't get to Plataforma and the Scarlet-banded Barbet with any type of rental car. The only way is with the specially customized pick-up trucks from Bellavista. The most reliable way is to hire one for own use. Or one has to wait for a day or two when one can go on a colectivo together with lots of other people, sheep, pigs and cases of beer.

To get back to Bellavista one may have to hike some 10-15 km to the nearest village that has more regular 4WD pickup service. Good birding on the way though if you have the time.

Saludos

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back