• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

handrearing rabbits (1 Viewer)

Empath

Anyone here got experience in handrearing bunnies? For a little over a week, I have been hand rearing a litter of 3 newborn domestic rabbits. I got them at around 14 hours old after mum had rejected them - the b****** owners dumped mum and new litter on me and expected everything to be well, after they had poked around in the nest and then put the whole hutch in a car and bounced them round for an hour to get to me. Poor stressed first time mum rejected her litter... so muggings here stepped in.
I had heard that rabbit kittens are difficult to rear, but I had to try. They seemed to be doing ok at first. For the first week they thrived. then one by one they became dehydrated and died.
They were getting enough milk - fed them 5-6 times a day till their tummies were round and full - so why why why did they go downhill? had I got the mixture wrong? I hadnt changed formula or quantity of the puppy milk I was giving them. They were warm, clean, toiletted....
I lost the last one during the night last night. I feel devestated - but I want to learn from my mistakes. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Empath said:
Anyone here got experience in handrearing bunnies? For a little over a week, I have been hand rearing a litter of 3 newborn domestic rabbits. I got them at around 14 hours old after mum had rejected them - the b****** owners dumped mum and new litter on me and expected everything to be well, after they had poked around in the nest and then put the whole hutch in a car and bounced them round for an hour to get to me. Poor stressed first time mum rejected her litter... so muggings here stepped in.
I had heard that rabbit kittens are difficult to rear, but I had to try. They seemed to be doing ok at first. For the first week they thrived. then one by one they became dehydrated and died.
They were getting enough milk - fed them 5-6 times a day till their tummies were round and full - so why why why did they go downhill? had I got the mixture wrong? I hadnt changed formula or quantity of the puppy milk I was giving them. They were warm, clean, toiletted....
I lost the last one during the night last night. I feel devestated - but I want to learn from my mistakes. Any ideas?
All I can advise is you either get in touch with a Rabbit Breeder or perhaps one of the animal rescue organisations for advice. Sorry I'm not much help.

Harry

Last edited by a moderator:
MikeDale said:
I know that human breast milk is toxic to them!

Well.....I'll bear that in mind if I ever get the chance to rear baby rabbits ;)

Good advice as regards the milk formula and timing of feeds though....I've made a note of that as you never know when something may turn up! I've hand-reared kittens before from one week old and that was very tiring but also incredibly satisfying....especially once they were about six weeks old and recognised me as their mum and stampeded towards me purring their heads off like miniature motorbikes every time I entered the room LOL

GILL *who's probably gonna be cast adrift from BF for admitting to being a cat-lover* ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back