• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Indigo bunting migration question. (1 Viewer)

e burr

About a month ago, at least 7 male indigo buntings showed up at my feeder. I assumed they were stopping on their trek north. They're still here!

Over a week ago at least five females showed up and are still hanging around.

The males are supposed to fly ahead to claim territory ... not stick around for free food.

Any one have a clue as to what's going on?

Hi e burr,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

I am afraid I can't answer your question but I am sure someone will be along soon who can. I'd love to have some of those in guys in my English garden ;)

e burr said:
About a month ago, at least 7 male indigo buntings showed up at my feeder. I assumed they were stopping on their trek north. They're still here!

Over a week ago at least five females showed up and are still hanging around.

The males are supposed to fly ahead to claim territory ... not stick around for free food.

Any one have a clue as to what's going on?

My books show Mississippi as part of their summer nesting range. I'm in Georgia and looking at a pair in the yard as I type this.

Most of the flock seems to have moved on. The past two days I've only seen two males and hree females. Looks like they may be settling in. I was hoping for a nesting pair. I already have a pair of cardinals, eastern towhees, and brown thrashers.

Now, if the blue grosbeaks would come back, I'd be a happy camper.

They breed in MS, and I read somewhere that a few males will migrate together, followed by a few females. They are gorgeous birds. Wish they would breed in my yard!

Indigo males arrive in early May in NE Ohio and sing their hearts out.I was at the breeding grounds today.I saw the males but not the girls.
Sam

This is our first year with Indigo's in the yard. 3 males and 1 female have frequented our thistle feeder every afternoon since mid May. They are a much welcomed addition.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back