• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kibbled Sunflower Hearts (1 Viewer)

Bluetail

Senior Moment
Just noticed this new product on the C J Wildbirds Food website. They say there's virtually no waste. If that's the case then I'm interested - our visiting finches waste masses and the dropped bits have killed patches of grass below the feeders. Has anyone tried it yet? What do you think?

That sounds interesting, I'll go and check it out. I have the same problem here - dead patches under the feeders, and after it's rained, the stench is horrible too, despite keep moving them round and disenfecting the mud too, it's vile! I have even put huge plant saucers attached to the bottom of the feeders to catch the spillage, but the finches still manage to chuck lots on the floor.

I actually have the catalogue here, it came with the summer edition of Birds last week. The downside is that they are £10 a bag dearer than what I buy now, and the £24 20 kilo bag only last me a fortnight, so will have to work out the pros and cons very carefully I feel. :h?:

Last edited:
I've tried two different products. I have a small decorative feeder in my front yard. It has small holed mesh so I was limited on what I could put in it. I used sunflower hearts (whole shelled sunflowers). There was never a mess, but I think they might have been a little to big for the birds to get out of the holes. I just bought sunflower chips - much smaller pieces but there are also bits of chopped up shell in there too. The new stuff has been out about a week, so we'll see how it goes.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back