• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last minute trip to Western Cape, any advice welcome! (1 Viewer)

Pietrzak

I'm traveling somewhat last minute to southwestern SA. I have about two weeks to spend in the country and so I've thrown together an itinerary that includes a pelagic out of Cape Town, visits to Addo, Karoo, De Hoop, Agulhas, Garden Route, Mountain Zebra, Table Mountain and the Cape Gannet colony north of CT. Birding will be the primary goal of the trip, but I'll take in other sights as opportunities arise. My party is renting a car in CT and driving quite a bit - any advice on driving in SA for foreigners?

Any advice on the dos-and-don'ts of any of the above sites or general areas? This is my first visit to anywhere in Africa.

I also have some logistical questions:

1. I have heard that most gas stations in SA take cash only - is this accurate? If so, is it possible to find ATMs in most areas relatively easily?

2. Is it possible to buy SIM cards for my US smartphone pretty easily? Are these found in gas stations? Convenience stores?

3. I have traveled in areas where crime was supposedly rampant, but I've been lucky and avoided problems. I understand that SA has terrible crime problems - is this something that I am likely to encounter in the parts of the country I have outlined above? Is there crime within parks and reserves, for example?

Thank you to all for any advice you care to give! I am beyond thrilled for the opportunity to explore this part of the world, and I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing some of the photos and information that others have posted on this forum!

Addo can be done by car, but it is worth slumming it and taking one of the organised jeep drives - preferably an early morning one. We did and found the driver very knowledgeable. We saw birds that we would not otherwise have done.

We paid for fuel in rands. I don't know whether fuel stations take other currencies, but would doubt it.

There is a massive social divide in SA, probably greater than in the USA, and there is a lot of crime, but if you are sensible you should be OK. I was very apprehensive, but we had no trouble whatsoever. All the locals we encountered were extremely friendly. When parking the car, whether in a car park or on a street, expect to be approached by a local requesting payment to "look after" your car. This is a quite normal and accepted practice in SA and not at all sinister. It's a recognised way for the poor to make money; each "minder" has his own patch and some of them are officially licensed. Just tip the person three or four rand and all will be fine. Don't go into any of the "townships" (shanty towns) without a guide.

When we were in Cape Town we found good birding in Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden. The African Penguin colony at The Boulders is a must at this time of year.

The birding down that way is fantastic. I'd love to go back.

Thanks Jack - my question about fuel payment was more about form of payment: are fuel stations cash only or can international credit cards be used?

Otherwise, thanks so much for your input - very exciting! We are planning to hit Kirstenbosch, the Boulders, etc. And we are doing an organized game drive or two in Addo so hopefully we'll also enjoy the benefits of the tour guide. I assume tipping is customary for the guides? Any guidance on amounts?

...are fuel stations cash only or can international credit cards be used?

Some of the bigger petrol stations take credit card, but don't expect it in all, especially not in more remote areas. For example, on the N2 road from the airport to Cape Town, there are a number of large stations which certainly do take credit cards. Also on the N7 heading north etc.

I understand that SA has terrible crime problems - is this something that I am likely to encounter in the parts of the country I have outlined above? Is there crime within parks and reserves, for example?

Though crime levels are high, it is also highly localised, mostly urban and mostly in townships and areas you are unlikely to visit anyhow. As a tourist, taking normal care (particularly by not driving into townships such as Cape Flats, etc) you are very unlikely to encounter anything but very friendly folk in South Africa. Crime in rural areas in low and, with the exception of a serious poaching problem in Kruger, almost non-existent in national parks. The centre of Cape Town is basically fine, you can walk around fine during the day and in well-populated areas such as the Waterfront after dark too. Only recommendation here would be to take taxi or car at night in the centre - though I have done it on numerous occasions, I would probably recommend not walking from say the Waterfront back to a hotel in Gardens late at night. As far as birding sites go, there have been warning about Sir Lowry's Pass (near Cape Town), mostly about the possibility of theft from parked cars, but I have personally never had a problem there.

South Africa is just about the most amazing country in the world, this goes too for most of its people, enjoy.

Last edited:
A lot of gas stations take SA credit cards now , but I don't know about international ones.
You should be able to buy a SIM card. Most supermarkets have them.
We do have crime problems, and overseas visitors are often targeted, but only those who are not sufficiently careful. Jos has given you some good advice here. Do not walk around with a mobile in your hand or iPod plugged in in the streets. Keep money somewhere safe like a moneybelt, not in a back pocket. There is very little crime in parks and reserves, but if your unit has a key, use it. One of the big criminals is the baboon ( also vervets), so never leave anything open when you go out in the parks! Do not stop at traffic junctions to give to beggars.

Your itinerary sounds great and I think you will love South Africa and will have a wonderful time.

One of the big criminals is the baboon ( also vervets), ...

Yes, I forgot about them. If you value your picnic lunch, also be aware of the marauding gangs of assorted hoodlum weavers, the occasional thug in the form of a Yellow-billed Hornbill and the mafia boy, the Crested Barbet - you may wish to reconsider a visit to this fine land ...thieves everywhere :)

Last edited:
LOL Jos, I forgot about the birds! OK Thanks for the info re international credit cards, useful to know.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back