• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bordeaux in the summer? (1 Viewer)

timmyjones

I will be going to bourdeux in june and will be camping next to a big lake and pine forest on the other side an idea of what birds i could see especially on the lake as i will be cycling in the forest thanks

Timmy, I am British but I live in France. I may be able to help you since I have just purchased an LPO (French equivalent of the RSPB) handbook on birdwatching sites and walks. You don't say which lake you are going to camp beside and so I can't tell you if there is a suitable site or walk close to it or what birds you are likely to see. If you can tell me where exactly you are going I might be able to give you some information.

the lake is Lac Biscarosse in the Landes region of south west France an i will be camping in between that and the pine forest its a Rockley watersports camp and is called La Reserve.

I will go there on the 11th June and come back 19th June

Thank You

timmyjones said:
the lake is Lac Biscarosse in the Landes region of south west France an i will be camping in between that and the pine forest its a Rockley watersports camp and is called La Reserve.

I will go there on the 11th June and come back 19th June

Thank You

Well, Timmy, the lake at Biscarrosse is not listed in the LPO handbook but there are three sites that might interest you. Unfortunately, the nearest one is about 40 kilometres from Biscarrosse and I'm not sure how far you would want to travel, let alone on your bike! Anyway, the three sites mentioned in the handbook are Domaine de Certes/Audenge which is located on the north side of the Bassin d''Arachon, starting point close to the village of Audenge; Parc ornithologique du Teich, again located on the Bassin d'Arachon but on the south side at the village of Teich (there is a website: http://www.parc-ornithologique-du-teich.com); and Pointe du Cap-Ferret which is largely made up of dunes at the mouth of the Bassin where it meets the Atlantic. This last one would mean travelling around the top of the bay but there may be a ferry to the Cap from Arachon.

As to the birds you are likely to see at this time of year, the handbook lists the following: for Audenge - Mute Swan, Shelduck, Spoonbill, Black Kite, Yellow Wagtail, Bluethroat, Nightingale, Zitting Cisticola; for Teich - Grey Heron, Night Heron, Cattle Egret, Little Egret, White Stork, Shelduck, Bluethroat; for Cap Ferret - this site is particularly famous for passerines between September and November but you should see many of the above water birds, plus others besides, including Puffins. You might be lucky enough to see many of the birds listed above in and around the lake at Biscarrosse but if you can manage a trip to one of the three sites I've mentioned it should be worth your while.

Enjoy your holiday and let us all know what you find when you get back!

well got back yesterday and it was an amazing trip saw loads of birds and had a great time Sailling, canoening, Wind Surfing, Mountain Biking, Swimming, everything waterbased

timmyjones said:
well got back yesterday and it was an amazing trip saw loads of birds and had a great time Sailling, canoening, Wind Surfing, Mountain Biking, Swimming, everything waterbased

Did you manage to get to any of the sites I mentioned, Tim? Are you posting anything on the Vacational Reports forum by any chance?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back