• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 128 or 701RC2 for Nikon 82mm? (1 Viewer)

jfraley2

I am in the process of purchasing a new Nikon 82mmED Fieldscope and I currently have a Bogen 3021Pro tripod that was given to me by my wife a few years back. I have never used a scope before and would have to buy a new head for the tripod. I think that I have narrowed the choices down to two, the Manfrotto 128(same as Bogen 3130 I think) or the Manfrotto 701RC2. Does anyone have any opinion on whether either of these two heads has any advantage for this particular scope? At the present I do not plan to do digiscoping.

Any comments or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

John Fraley

I use a Nikon 82mmED Fieldscope with the Manfrotto 128 head mounted on a Slik 619 Professional tripod. The whole setup is very sturdy. The head is nicely damped and this can easily be adjusted by knobs on each axis. I am very pleased with it.

I have a 701rc and am very happy with it. The 701 is sturdier and lighter than the 128, and the base plate is lower in relation to the head base. The balance adjusting base plate is also a nice touch. I recently removed the handle because I found it easier to just move the scope because so little force is required when everything is adjusted properly.

I have a 701RC2 which I use with my kowa 823 and find that I still need to move the front plate forward to get an ideal balance so its a useful feature digiscoping or not. I suggest you try the balance with the nikon with either head in a shop - if in any doubt I'd go for the 701.

Thanks to all of you for your input. It is good to know that either head would work with the Nikon 82mm. I think that my next step will be to follow Colin's advice and look for a shop that has both and go give them a try.

-John

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back