• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida birding advice (1 Viewer)

jimtfoto

Looking at a two-week trip to Florida in the coming month or so. Thought we'd make our base in Fort Myers, then rent a car for day trips to the following:
- Ding Darling
- Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary
- Big Cypress National Reserve
- Everglades National Park

Looking for input from either Florida-based birders or those who may have made a similar trip ... does it make sense to base in Ft. Myers, or is there a better recommendation? What other sanctuaries, etc., should be on our list?
Any input appreciated ....

cheers,
jim

It'll be very hot and humid, (was today)so not the best time to visit for birding.
The sites you mention are all good, but migration has tailed off and so my instinct would be to head as far south as you can.

I have "heard" that the hydrology of Ding Darling has been altered and that good bird viewing opportunities have seriously declined.

It is going to be very, very hot and humid. A quick trip down the Keys and a boat ride to the Dry Tortugas would get you some fantastic birds (Boobys, Albatross etc. ) and you would be off shore with a bit more breeze and less bugs although it will be even hotter. If you like to snorkel, the reefs off the Atlantic side of the Keys will be great then. I can give you the names of a couple of snorkel operators out of Marathon.
The Everglades will be mostly quiet - you will need one of the airboat tours to get to birdy places. The bugs will be horrific.
I can't recommend much time in the 'glades this time of year unless you are a rhinoceros.

Thanks for the input ... after those comments, I think we'll maybe look to a different destination for now ... and try a Florida excursion at another time of year ....
Bill, thanks for the heads-up on Ding Darling ... I'll do a little more research into it.

cheers,
jim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back