• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lagoa dos Salgados - more bad news (1 Viewer)

I'm sure you know Mick, but just to avoid confusion for others, this does not refer to Lagoa dos Salgados. The site in question is a fairly small and very interesting freshwater lagoon that lies right on the edge of the centre of the small town of Lagoa (some 11kms from Lagoa dos Salgados) - it holds an often large Glossy Ibis roost and at least 3-4 pairs have bred n the last few years. I hope Almargen and others manage to halt this landfilling and especially well done to local resident James Watson who acted quickly on seeing the beginning of the site's destruction.

For those who don't know the location, its across the road from the new Aldi supermarket, Lagoa.

Regarding Lagoa dos Salgados - still waiting for news on its permanent preservation - though I haven't had my ear to the ground lately!

Last edited:
Lagoa Wetlands

I'm sure you know Mick, but just to avoid confusion for others, this does not refer to Lagoa dos Salgados. The site in question is a fairly small and very interesting freshwater lagoon that lies right on the edge of the centre of the small town of Lagoa (some 11kms from Lagoa dos Salgados) - it holds an often large Glossy Ibis roost and at least 3-4 pairs have bred n the last few years. I hope Almargen and others manage to halt this landfilling and especially well done to local resident James Watson who acted quickly on seeing the beginning of the site's destruction.

For those who don't know the location, its across the road from the new Aldi supermarket, Lagoa.

Regarding Lagoa dos Salgados - still waiting for news on its permanent preservation - though I haven't had my ear to the ground lately!

Thank you for the clarification Simon, I wasn't aware of the Lagoa site.

There is an on line petition here in the event that anyone might want to sign it:

There is an on line petition here in the event that anyone might want to sign it:

Thank you for the information Mick! I have signed the petition, the few remaining wetlands in the Algarve need to be preserved!

Signed! Let's hope the site is saved - though I don't have too much hope due to previous legislation; its included in the urban building plan of Lagoa town as its so close to the centre.

I know the site a few years, but kept it a little quiet as Glossy Ibis was breeding (the first, or one of the first breeding in Portugal). The winter roosts were often in excess of 200 birds - so bizarre seeing these birds wheeling in over the town centre at dusk! I understand that larger roosts have happened recently. Since about a year ago I haven't visited but I have suggested to folk that a meeting with the local council (who are nature sympathertic I believe) should be struck up to discuss this charming site.

Anyway I was so saddened to hear the bad news about the filling in - I'd always thought the site very vulnerable to this and at one point a year ago or so I was going to try and do something about it - but "life got in the way" - feeling bad about that now :C .

Anyone visiting the Algarve may like to watch the Glossy Ibis roost - now I'm thinking that the more birders that visit the better!

Here is a link on Google maps of the site I did in 2013 with the location of the Glossy Ibis nests - its not an issue, as one would have to swim to them to make disturbance - the site's edges are far enough away to prevent problems: Its best viewed from the south side down a little narrow road opposite the Aldi supermarket - yellow marker on the map.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18by1RSR79CaUL1rkujhPxNUDAKI&usp=sharing

Paul de Lagoa - 10am Sunday

(Paul = freshwater marsh)

Some more info in Portuguese from the Birdlife partner:

http://www.spea.pt/pt/noticias/zona-humida-no-algarve-em-risco/

Apart from more detail of the site's values there is mention of the above petition started by John Watson, which has 1200+ signatues and at end of article there is a link to another petition in formal Portuguese. Great to see that that the Portuguese nature ONGs are getting the place in the public eye. :t:

This Sunday, 12th February there will be a manifestation in favour of the site's preservation - at 10am next to the adjacent to the Aldi supermarket, Lagoa. Anyone here - turn up and see some nice birds too!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back