• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding at the Asa Wright Centre (1 Viewer)

DJA

This may or may not be a daft question, My wife and I maybe going to the Asa Wright Centre in October,could anyone let us know what kind of bird activity we're likely to see or is it reasonably quiet around that time.
we'll be going to see the oil birds, and a trip to the Caroni Swamp will probably be on the cards other than that we'll be birding around the centre.
what sort of things should we be expecting to see.

Thanks Jacamar,
Found some more sites as well as the one you suggested. seems October's not such a bad time at the centre. we were in Tobago last year and had a great time, especially at the Grafton reserve.

Birdwatcher's Guide to Trinidad & Tobago

DJA said:
This may or may not be a daft question, My wife and I maybe going to the Asa Wright Centre in October,could anyone let us know what kind of bird activity we're likely to see or is it reasonably quiet around that time.
we'll be going to see the oil birds, and a trip to the Caroni Swamp will probably be on the cards other than that we'll be birding around the centre.
what sort of things should we be expecting to see.

Hi DJA,

October is a fine month for birding in Trinidad, with migrants arriving from North America. I've prepared an entire website called Trinidad Birding at http://www.birderbill.us -- lots of information about that subject as well as about Tobago. Be sure to check out the Past Trips section for information about birds seen at the AWNC. I'd be glad to answer any specific questions you might have.

Bill Murphy, Indianapolis, Indiana USA

DJA,
All I know for sure is that you'll enjoy your visit! Asa Wright is a very nice birders resort with lots of great birds. Bill's advice above will get you going. Books I found helpful were Bill Murphy's 'A Birdwatcher's guide to Trinidad and Tobago' and Ffrench's Field Guide to the Birds of Trinidad. Here's one of the birds you might see on Asa Wright property:

Attachments

• bearded bellbird.jpg
    bearded bellbird.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 223
Thanks Bill, Liked your web site.We can't wait to saver some of that T&T hospitality again, we were in Tobago last year but sadly couldn't make Trinidad that time, we did have the excellent services of Newton George for two days, what a guy! Thanks Dave for the photo, I take it this bird will probably be heard more often than seen.
Thanks everyone for replying and putting our minds at rest,at least we know now we've booked to stay there at a good time.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back