• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plant ID (1 Viewer)

Yaffle

Can anyone help me identify this "weed of cultivation" that grows in my garden? The flowers are tiny, only about 3mm across.

Thanks,

yaffle

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 137
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Gill,

Thanks for the suggestion, I had also at first thought that it was a member of the chickweed family, but the petals of this plant are not divided and the sepals are much longer than the petals.

I have just done some more research and am coming to the conclusion that it could well be Thyme-leaved Sandwort (Arenaria serpyllifolia) or just possibly Lesser Thyme-leaved Sandwort (Arenaria leptoclados). These are not listed in many books but a Google image search on the latin gives some good pics.

Yaffle

Yaffle said:
Gill,

Thanks for the suggestion, I had also at first thought that it was a member of the chickweed family, but the petals of this plant are not divided and the sepals are much longer than the petals.

I have just done some more research and am coming to the conclusion that it could well be Thyme-leaved Sandwort (Arenaria serpyllifolia) or just possibly Lesser Thyme-leaved Sandwort (Arenaria leptoclados). These are not listed in many books but a Google image search on the latin gives some good pics.

Yaffle

Yes, this is definitely Arenaria serpyllifolia group. The two you mention are generally considered to be subspecies and the only reliable distinction is the shape of the fruiting capsule. However, the flower size and rather diffuse growth as shown in the photograph do suggest ssp. leptoclados.

Subsp. serpyllifolia is common throughout Britain, whereas ssp. leptoclados is generally southern and more common on chalky soils and walls with old mortar.

There is, incidentally, a third subspecies, ssp. lloydii, which has larger seeds and a condensed inflorescence. It is coastal and in my area is characteristic of sand/shingle mixtures right at the top of the beach.
Picture at:
http://www-biol.paisley.ac.uk/research/Asilverside/Wigtown/photo1/Arenaria_lloydii.html

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back