• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which lens? (1 Viewer)

fisi7chella

i am presently purchasing a swarovski ats 65mm scope,i dont want the zoom
but i am torn between the 30x or 45x lens and cant make up my mind,i know
some of you much more experienced birders would know,thanks a lot all you good people out there.
ps would the 45x lens be a bit more beneficial for astronomy? though of course
that is not the main reason for purchasing this scope
thanks again

Last edited:
I own a Swaro 65 HD and 30X eyepiece and love the combination. I tried the 45 but I like the brighness and wider field of view of the 30. I have the zoom as well but it is hardly ever on my scope. I have a friend who owns the 80 Swaro and we went through the same exercise with him testing the 30 vs the 45. He opted for the 30x as well.

I use both the zoom and the 30X eyepiece, adapted for use on an astronomical scope. The 30X is a superb eyepiece, one of the best wide field eyepieces of any type I've seen. The zoom is also one of the best eyepieces of its type, just as bright and sharp in the center of the field at 30X as the fixed 30X, but of course the field is much narrower. At high magnifications, however, the zoom actually becomes a very high quality wide field eyepiece with an apparent field that gradually increases from about 60 degrees at 45X to 70 degrees at 60X. You might think of it as a no compromise high power wide field eyepiece with the narrower apparent field lower magnifications thrown in for free. Much as I like the 30X I actually use the zoom far more.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back