• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BTO ring on black guillemot? (1 Viewer)

breffni

Probably not much use as there are only 3 digits visible (i think BTO do 5 digits and a letter(?)) - the bird was photographed at giles quay, county louth, ireland, 15/5/05 - it was a male bird (it mounted the female adjacent) in good condition. A few days earlier i saw another BTO ring with
BTO (vertical)
and
NAT (horizontal)
F (larger type face)

Attachments

• black guillemot giles quay 15 may 05.jpg
    black guillemot giles quay 15 may 05.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
BTO ring on a black guillemot

breffni said:
Probably not much use as there are only 3 digits visible (i think BTO do 5 digits and a letter(?)) - the bird was photographed at giles quay, county louth, ireland, 15/5/05 - it was a male bird (it mounted the female adjacent) in good condition. A few days earlier i saw another BTO ring with
BTO (vertical)
and
NAT (horizontal)
F (larger type face)

But surely the numbers visible might help. Has anyone from the BTO seen this? Years ago I read all but the last digit on the BTO ring on a cormorant nesting in a local colony, and the BTO were able to tell me where and when it was ringed from that information. Of course, all 10 possible rings had been used on the same day and place. However, I would guess that there is not a lot of tystie ringing going on, which would reduce the number of possibilities in the case of this Co. Louth bird. Give it a try! I bet that I am not the only one who would be interested in how you get on!
Allen

Allen S. Moore said:
But surely the numbers visible might help. Has anyone from the BTO seen this? Years ago I read all but the last digit on the BTO ring on a cormorant nesting in a local colony, and the BTO were able to tell me where and when it was ringed from that information. Of course, all 10 possible rings had been used on the same day and place. However, I would guess that there is not a lot of tystie ringing going on, which would reduce the number of possibilities in the case of this Co. Louth bird. Give it a try! I bet that I am not the only one who would be interested in how you get on!
Allen
If you would like, I could email the details to someone that I have occasional contact with in the BTO Ringing Office for you.
Allen

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back