• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma long zoom search (1 Viewer)

kman2000

Further to my comments yesterday, I have had the Sigma 170-500 very well recommended, and even went to look at a used one today. Unfortuantely it gave an "error 999" reading on my Canon 20D and the cost of having it re-chipped would negate the savings in buying s/h.
Does anyone have anything similar they would like to sell? I cannot find a local stockist (Sussex uk) with one in stock and am always a bit wary of mail order although it IS available from the 7dayshop at £405.
A direct e-mail would be acceptable if anyone can help. Note I do have the 70-300 IS canon and that is magic!! Bit I want that little bit longer sometimes.

Hi Kman2000

You might like try Amateur photographer magazine which has long listings of 2nd lenses,or you could try this website www.ffordes.com which I am reliably informed is good.

Cheers Steve.

Canon lens

Hi kman2000,
I recently bought the SIGMA 170-500 lens (for my Canon 20D), and while I find it very good, I have decided that I would be better having a shorter prime lens.
The lens has hardly been used and has the case etc and I would sell it for £425!
I live in Hedge End near Southampton.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
170-500 is not reputed to be a sharp lens. The 50-500 is much better in that regard.

Of course, with a long-range zoom, one is always compromizing on quality, so if you can afford it, go for a prime, even the discontinued Canon 500 4.5L, and Sigma also have their version of this lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back