• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland by public transport (1 Viewer)

simmojunior

I have some spare leave from work and am tempted to spend a few days (4 or 5) in Iceland as I can find some relatively cheap flights (c£120).

My driving test is the week after so I will not be hiring a car. I wondered how possible it is to get around Iceland by public transport as I cannot find many trip reports that do that? I am really after the 4 main species (Harlequin, Gyr, Barrow's Goldeneye and Brunnich's Guillemot) although happy for some general good birding and scenery. Ideally also some Whales. Has anyone done Iceland before by public transport and have advice of where to go? Myvatn is far too far from Reykjavik for the time I'm planning to spend.

Thanks,

Oli

The Crossbill Guide to Iceland (in the interests of openness I should admit straight away that I help to edit these guides) has a couple of paragraphs on travel by bus. In brief, this tells me that services in the summer season are excellent for those on a limited budget but with plenty of time. It warns that some services to more out of the way places are weekly but also notes that some day excursions are possible. The relevant websites are www.re.is, www.bsi.is, www.trex.is and www.sba.is. I hope this helps.

My driving test is the week after so I will not be hiring a car. I am really after the 4 main species (Harlequin, Gyr, Barrow's Goldeneye and Brunnich's Guillemot) Oli

Best to wait until you can rent a car. Gyrfalcon is easier to see in the Myvatn area than the SW unless you go in winter. Contact Edward Rickson at Birding Iceland for info.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back