• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sea Bird ID Needed (1 Viewer)

Mandy

Newbie Birdwatcher
This was a very interesting little bird! I was on a whale watch yesterday and while we were still off shore traveling in the direction of home, this little bird flew along side of us and actually landed on the boat! He sat on the wire for a minutes and then he made his way into the pilothouse. He didn't seem to be afraid of people or moving boats at all! It was so neat!

I've looked in my bird book at leat five times trying to find out what kind of bird this is, but I've come up empty handed. Can you please help me?

This was bird was seen out in the open ocean probably about 10 miles off shore... off the coast of New Hampshire. He was about the size of a House Sparrow.

Thanks,
- Mandy

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 229
Mandy

Looks like a Common Yellowthroat to me. It brought back happy memories of the one i twitchrd in the UK on the Isles of Scilly in October 1997.

Thanks for that!

Phill.

Bird Id from pelagic trip

Hi Mandy,
I just joined the forum and your's was one of the first postings I read. Dang, I can't find my bird book but I noticed the pink legs and it made me think of a Conneticut Warbler, female given the drab appearance. Did you notice if it bobbed when it walked? Did it hop or walk, for that matter? Maybe this helps...good luck. Steve

Mandy said:
This was a very interesting little bird! I was on a whale watch yesterday and while we were still off shore traveling in the direction of home, this little bird flew along side of us and actually landed on the boat! He sat on the wire for a minutes and then he made his way into the pilothouse. He didn't seem to be afraid of people or moving boats at all! It was so neat!

I've looked in my bird book at leat five times trying to find out what kind of bird this is, but I've come up empty handed. Can you please help me?

This was bird was seen out in the open ocean probably about 10 miles off shore... off the coast of New Hampshire. He was about the size of a House Sparrow.

Thanks,
- Mandy

Hi GallinagoX2 and welcome to Birdforum. On Connecticut Warbler the head colour extends to the throat and breast (grey on male, brownish on female) and the belly and vent are yellowish. Phil and Larry are quite right: Mandy's bird is a Common Yellowthroat.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back