• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does anyone (1 Viewer)

WelshWarbler said:
Have any nest box designs as i want to build a new one which is woodpecker proof?.
Hi WelshWarbler & welcome to BirdForum there are galvanised plates sold at most garden centres/pet shops that fit around the existing hole in the box to stop woodpeckers making the hole bigger & gaining enterance to the box.

Regards Snapper.

Thanks for your advice Snapper. With my blue tits the hole wasn't enlarged (it is about 32mm - probably too big?) and the woodpecker must have reached in and pulled the nest up.

The RSPB recommend fitting a nest guardian - a tube which makes it more difficult for the woodpecker to reach inside. Will tits still use the box with something like this fitted?

Another member put a wire hanging basket round her nestbox to deter woodpeckers.

I'm wondering if they (tits) wouldn't take to a PVC box? We have some that are designed for bluebirds here by Steve Gilbertson. I personally have found that the tree swallows, bluebirds and chickadees will always check these out first and I've had all three species use it, with success. I wouldn't think the woodpecker would enjoy drilling at the hard pvc and any size hole could be fitted (here the black capped chickadee can take anywhere from
1 1/8" to 1 9/16" , the 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" would be good for most tits I should think....I've not witnessed any of our woodpeckers interested in these kinds of boxes.
shelley

What a fascinating story. I think it proves that birds and nature in general will always come up with something unexpected and pose a puzzle for the experts!

Welsh Warbler

P.S I'm extremely envious, as there is not much happening in my garden at present lol

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back