• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Long? (1 Viewer)

Aunt Kay

How long?

HOW long should one wait for birds to find a new feeder? I decided to get rid of my old kind and change types of seeds because grackles (new this year) had scared away my beloved robins and sparrows; but the tube niger thistle feeder I have hung in a tree, and a new feeder with bars to keep out grackles, have yet to be discovered by any goldfinches. Some sparrows have returned, but how long shall I wait for the birds to find a new feeder before I give up and decide the design is not good? (Sorry, I am new at this - both posting and feeding. I can't get the "how to" page to open, either. I keep getting an error message. So my apologies if I have already broken some rule or other :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Aunt Kay and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

No worries, you have not broken any rules. I've gone ahead and given you a thread of your own as your post was on the end of an older thread and hopefully, it will get more suggestions here.;)

I would give your birds a bit longer to find your feeders. You are coming into or are already into breeding season and the stressed parents will be looking for a supplemental, quick food source. All my goldies, when they were here this winter, adapted to the squirrel proof feeders and actually gave them more use than the thistle socks (maybe felt more protected?) Good luck and keep us posted.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back