• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon S520.....should I upgrade?? (1 Viewer)

blackburnian

Owl Nut
I'm having a blast with the Rebel XT a nd the 100-400 IS lens. However, I decided to purchase ink for my older and only printer the Canon S520 and discovered that the pics are somewhat poor in quality and don't match what I see on the screen (I know i somehow have to calibrate BOTH).

My question is....

Should I go out and invest on a high end printer or just send them off to my local shop?

Is the quality of the higher end printers MUCH better than my current printer?

What do you guys do?

I shoot mainly birds...and my kids when they can sit still!

Marc

Well, I don't know how old your printer is, but I'd say that if its more than about 3 years old, a newer one would probably give better results, because of newer technology. Nowadays, you don't have to spend a lot for a photo-quality printer, since they make most of their money selling ink cartridges anyway. There are many printers in the $150 range (or even less) that should yield almost professional results. You shouldn't spend much more than that, I should think, unless you are looking for a wide-format printer.

I'm assuming you cleaned the print heads (usually done via the print driver software - with most printers it does NOT involve you physically touching the heads). If not, do so, and then print the test page your printer surely can print to diagnose printing problems. Cleaning the heads can make a HUGE difference, especially with the horizontal streaking problem.

I'll clean them tonight....never thought of that as I don't use the printer. Since last week that is.

Tks!

RAH said:
Well, I don't know how old your printer is, but I'd say that if its more than about 3 years old, a newer one would probably give better results, because of newer technology. Nowadays, you don't have to spend a lot for a photo-quality printer, since they make most of their money selling ink cartridges anyway. There are many printers in the $150 range (or even less) that should yield almost professional results. You shouldn't spend much more than that, I should think, unless you are looking for a wide-format printer.

I'm assuming you cleaned the print heads (usually done via the print driver software - with most printers it does NOT involve you physically touching the heads). If not, do so, and then print the test page your printer surely can print to diagnose printing problems. Cleaning the heads can make a HUGE difference, especially with the horizontal streaking problem.

Hi Marc

If you`ve got Adobe photoshop installed you might like to calibrate your monitor using Adobe Gamma which is pretty simple to use,as already mentioned cleaning your printer heads is also a good idea.

Cheers Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back