• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Jose del Guaviare (1 Viewer)

Hi!

I think Trevor Ellery (bird guide in Colombia) has been here. Oswaldo Cortez has been there for sure. Maybe contact them for info about the place (especially the birding)?

Cheers,

filip

I went to San Jose del Guaviare on a 4N/3D trip from Bogota with my wife in early July this summer, mainly to see the rock paintings at Cerro Azul, Amazonian River Dolphins at Laguna Damas de Nare and the red rivers at Tranquilandia, which seemed cheaper and more accessible than Cano Cristales. We used Biodiversa Travel for the cultural guiding whilst we were there:

Birding was not the priority as my wife is not a birder, and I was mostly squeezing it in incidentally, but I still saw some good stuff such as Guianan Cock-of-the-Rock, Amazonian Umbrellabird and Long-Billed Woodcreeper. Here are a couple of E-bird checklists from there:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S144144302

Three day roosting Great Potoo in a single boat ride was pretty spectacular and hints at what could be found on a serious birding trip there. Speaking with the guide (Marcel - speaks French and English), to maximise that, you would ideally want to be there around January-March as there are apparently some spectacular areas for Antbirds near Cerro Azul, but the forest floods for much of the year. Think it would have to be pretty hardcore as we weren't getting to sites until 8-9am, so you'd probably have to stay in some pretty basic places overnight.
If anyone has any questions about SJG and I'll try to do my best to answer them.

Thanks for that. I went in August - I saw quite a few birds I would recommend going there on a serious trip.
The amazing things was the massive numbers of Hoatzins

Users who are viewing this thread

Back