• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just optical quality. (1 Viewer)

Steve Napier

Based solely on the optics, {lets forget all about bulk and weight} of the members who own the Cannon 10x42 IS, how do they compare OPTICALLY to the Zeiss FL and other premium makes?
Thanks
Steve.

Not even close!

Steve Napier said:
Based solely on the optics, {lets forget all about bulk and weight} of the members who own the Cannon 10x42 IS, how do they compare OPTICALLY to the Zeiss FL and other premium makes?
Thanks
Steve.

I have compared the Canon 10x42 IS to my Zeiss FL 10x42 because my birding friend has a pair of the Canon's and let me tell you this. They are not even close in optical quality! The Zeiss blows the Canon away in every category. No comparison!

Dennis

The Canon 8x and 10x stabilzed images aren't really that great and you'd be better off avoiding them. Try out a pair of 15x or 18x Canon IS Binoculars and you'll be amazed. The detail you can observe is quite incredible. Optically they're not on par with Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski mounted on a tripod, but at this magnification, you won't even be able to use a non-stabilized binocular so there is no real comparison.

Astigmitism in 15&18x Canon IS

xenophobe said:
The Canon 8x and 10x stabilzed images aren't really that great and you'd be better off avoiding them. Try out a pair of 15x or 18x Canon IS Binoculars and you'll be amazed. The detail you can observe is quite incredible. Optically they're not on par with Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski mounted on a tripod, but at this magnification, you won't even be able to use a non-stabilized binocular so there is no real comparison.
in1

I have tried the 15x and 18x Canon IS and I noticed alot of astigmitism. I never noticed this in the 10x30 or the new 12x36(Not the older model 12x36 IS). So for this reason I would stay with the 10x30 or 12x36's. Also you are getting pretty heavy in those two models.

Dennis

I have compared the Canon 10x42 IS to my Zeiss FL 10x42 because my birding friend has a pair of the Canon's and let me tell you this. They are not even close in optical quality! The Zeiss blows the Canon away in every category. No comparison!

Dennis

Hmm, but what about post 65 in New Canon 10x42's coming? Unless I have misunderstood the translated page and the table from Kimmo's link the model tested compared well with the Zeiss. Perhaps the variance of views could be explained by sample variation.

I use 12X36s and am well happy with them, the ability to hold them still outweighs all the other optical considerations in my opinion, the problem is, that now the image is still you notice the other shortcomings, oh well such is life.

Mick

dipped said:
Hmm, but what about post 65 in New Canon 10x42's coming? Unless I have misunderstood the translated page and the table from Kimmo's link the model tested compared well with the Zeiss. Perhaps the variance of views could be explained by sample variation.

He also stated in the 'Canon Image Stabilized (IS) Binoculars' thread that there appeared to be the possibility of quite a range of sample variance, so you mgiht find a great pair or one that isn't perfectly collaminated, which might cause softness. On the other hand, some people just might not like the 'floating' effect that might give some motion sickness.

I have the Canon 8x25,10x42L and 12x36 IS II's and they are the best handheld binoculars for me because I can see much more detail than my non IS 8x,10x and 12x binoculars handheld. I have a myriad of binocular mounts and tripods and I want a rock steady image so paying $1,500 for a German 8-12x binocular to be used handheld would be a waste of my money. I think some people have a Zeiss tattoo on their body just like Harley tattoos on Harley riders and would not be caught dead on a jap bike.

i have to agree with jogiba.i have swaro, nikon se.s minox. fuji etc but the ones i use most are my 12x36 IS its amazing how steady the view is with them .so maybe some of the euro high end binos are a little bit superier optically .what use is that superiority if you can.t hold the darn things steady without a tripod.iagree with joe on the harley thing also . even tho i have 2 harleys.

steve. i was riding a norton dommy 88 back in 56 . also raced a comando here in us in72 & 73 ive had about 30 bikes triumphs & all the jap bikes . but now i,m old i prefer to ride the slow old hogs & look at stars & birds [ winged variety].
ps i was one of the original ton up boys at the ace.& johnsons [near brands] & all the other biker hangouts.
brian

Hmm I suppose it is.

One note I'd like to add is that for some reason or another the stabilization feature adds to how much depth of field my eyes can see in the IS binoculars. It is possible my eyes can accomidate better when presented with a stable field.

This is a copy of a post I recently left in another thread. I thought it might be equally relevant here:
I recently got my pair of Canon 10x42L IS binoculars. I have been very curious to see just how Canon's best "L" glass would compare to Europe's finest. IS aside, these are phenomenally good optics! If Canon decided to forego the IS, and simply re-package these optics in a sleek and lightweight housing - this might be THE finest binocular on the market. They are bright, sharp across the entire field, free of chromatic abberation and completely free of flare in even the most difficult lighting. But alas, Canon is synonymous with Image Stabilization in the binocular world - and this is their undoing. Thanks to IS, they are overly large and heavy, and worse yet, an ungainly shape that doesn't seem to have been made to be comfortably held by human hands. The price of image stabilization is an image that is constantly fluctuating into and out of perfect focus, due to the constant high-frequency movement of the prisms as they "Stabilize" the image. In fact, we have simply traded one annoying optical artifact (image shake) for another (a disquieting image instability). Since most of us have unintentionally trained our brains to compensate for a certain amount of image shake, this new and unaccustomed phenomenon is just bothersome. In order to keep the image critically sharp, it is still necessary to concentrate all ones efforts on holding them steady - but this is a bloated, overweight contraption - so doing so is even more tiresome than without IS (and all that comes with it) at all. It's a shame, really - this may be the finest set of optics I have ever sold.

How much do they stabilize? :
Is it like a 10x or 12x Canon IS are as stable as i can hold my 8x normal binocular? In those terms, how are they comparable?
Thanks,
CJ

CJ
They seem rather better than an 8x for stability, at least for me. They allow detail inspection of birds which otherwise would require a tripod view. The effect is really to remove jitter, as the stabilization is slightly under 1 degree.

Yes, my 12x36 offer a more stable image than any other bins I own, including EL 8x32, EII 8x and 10x, and Ultra 8x20. They are great for long-distance viewing, e.g. sea, marshlands, etc., but pretty poor in close cover because of the 5 degree FOV and the poorer optics. In open-country viewing, I can discern far more detail with the IS 12x36 than I can with any other bino. In other words, they're much better for seeing birds! They are also light and compact, no heavier than EL 8x32. I tried 10x42 IS and decided against them because they were heavy and cumbersome. Superb optics on the unit I tried, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back