• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dipper (1 Viewer)

Kiffa

I took this last month in the Derbyshire Dales using a Nikon D70 and Sigma 50-500mm lens.

Attachments

• Dipper.jpg
    Dipper.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 265
Hi Kiffa

I like the image a lot I think the blurred waterfall background makes a nice change photo wise from what I am used to seeing.

Cheers Steve.

Superb! If that's not the entire pic you might be able to try a more pleasing composition. Apart from that - faultless.

I agree technically and the setting is superb. I think a landscape format would look better though or if not possible then cropping so the tail of the bird more towards the right edge of the frame.

Ruby said:
So THAT'S what a Dipper looks like!! :)

LOL!!! You are such a laugh!!!

BTW nice shot of a wonderful bird....I expect if I'd tried to take a pic when I saw a dipper in The Forest of Dean earlier this year it would have flown away.It posed very nicely but....I just knew....!!!

I only just managed to see the Dippers in Hungary/Slovenia before they flew.

Great shot..I'd have a go with photoshop as the above advice and see what you think, sounds like good advice!!

Thanks for the advice

Thank you to all that have left advice, I've taken what's been said onboard and I've had another go, this time improving the composition a little (I hope!) Let me know what you think.

cheers,

Mark

www.pefola.co.uk

Attachments

• Dipper v2.jpg
    Dipper v2.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 191
Certainly a lot better format, though maybe a little too much dead ground on the left side now. I suppse it's down to personal preference for the finihed look, but to me the bird is the main subject and should be more prominent. Also standard dimensions often look better unless the subject shape warrants something a little different.

Here I'd have stuck to a standard dimension such as 640x480 or 800x600 with the bird a bit more prominent in the fame, more like this but with a little more room on each side to include more of the surroundings.

Attachments

• Dipper v2a.jpg
    Dipper v2a.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 173
Its all in the composition isn't it!!

Thought your next effort looked good but when I saw Ian's...wow!! Go for that and it looks as if Ian has lightened it a bit!!

Last one looks amazing!!

If I wasn't called Eagle..I might be tempted to ask for it as my avatar!!

:clap:

I have to totally agree with what everyone else has said. And the final crop that IanF did took it from great to excellent. It's a shame to have to lose some of that wonderful waterfall background and moss & water texture in the foreground, but there'd be no easy way to retain that and get the best composition too. Well done!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back