• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I clear out the nestbox now that my Great Tits have left ot not? (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Since My Great Tit's left my nestbox about 2 weeks ago (around that time) would it be adviceable to clear out the nestbox now or leave it for a few more days just incase? Just thaught I post a topic about it don't want to repeat that situation last year when wasps took over (which I learned my lesson)

Great Tits are rarely double-brooded - and even if they do come back (or another pair has a late attempt), you'll be doing them a favour by clearing it out - it will be full of flea larvae and other bugs by now (wear gloves, or wrap a bag around your hand!). By clearing it out, you might actually increase the chances.

While adults and possibly some young may come back to roost for a few days after fledging, taking the nest out, cleaning out the insects (I light a few tissues inside after taking the nest out, to purge them) and sticking a little bit of fresh moss in will do them no harm at all. 2 weeks is enough time. Waiting til autumn will only make it more convenient for you, as the fleas and lice will be dormant, and not wriggling/jumping about.

A clean nest box is still attractive to wasps but you should be ok this time of year because the queens start looking for nesting sites from about April.

Chris.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back