• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Newt question... (1 Viewer)

Tim100

While there a often newts in our pond I sometimes find small sandy coloured ones in the garden.

I found two today which were quite stiff/dry so put them in the pond. However, while they could swim one quickly sunk to the bottom and didnt move.

I fished them both out put them on the earth and they walked to safety and seemed happier.

Any ideas what they are? Are they different to the newts in the pond?

Contrary to popular belief, newts are not particularly aquatic outside the breeding season, and spend their time lurking amongst plants and so on, sometimes considerable distances from water.

I think your land-based newts are the same as the ones that were presumably using the pond to breed in.

David FG said:
Contrary to popular belief, newts are not particularly aquatic outside the breeding season, and spend their time lurking amongst plants and so on, sometimes considerable distances from water.

I think your land-based newts are the same as the ones that were presumably using the pond to breed in.

Thanks David! I'll leave them alone next time!

they will be the same species, the smooth newt lissotriton vulgaris vulgaris there is a possiblity that they are palmate newts lissotriton helveticus but they are smooth newts in all probability

Tim100 said:
While there a often newts in our pond I sometimes find small sandy coloured ones in the garden.

I found two today which were quite stiff/dry so put them in the pond. However, while they could swim one quickly sunk to the bottom and didnt move.

I fished them both out put them on the earth and they walked to safety and seemed happier.

Any ideas what they are? Are they different to the newts in the pond?
They are almost certainly the same species, the ones you found on land were the non breeding individuals. From your description they sound like smooth newts. I was fascinated by the newts in my local village pond when I was a child and your description of putting them in the pond then taking them out is very familiar!!

Keith

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back