• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

world's end, nr llangollen (1 Viewer)

apus

Hee hee! What a great day to take off work. No nine to five staring at a load of computer programmes just glorious sunshine and lungfuls of fresh spring air. So off I yomped around moorland at World's End just to the north of Llangollen.

Having specifically gone to look for grouse. I was having no joy, apart from virtually treading on probably the highest pair of red-legged partridge in Wales, when a passing buzzard spooked up one of the black variety. Get in! I'd heard them earlier eerily bubbling away in ventriloqual fashion, but, as with previous visits, merely assumed I was going to miss out on them again.

Soon after a peregrine flew over and then, thanks to doing my homework and listening to the birdsong recording forum, I detected a small flock of crossbills amongst siskin.

Following a Ginsters pasty and a Lucozade at an Esso station, I set off for the River Dee to track down this year's personal birding nemesis viz. a kingfisher. After a splendid riparian walk of some two hours, (nearly ruined when I got charged by some lunatic cow presumably on acid), the turquoise little blighters had continued to elude me. Consolation came in tons of buzzards, grey wags, chiff-chaffs and g-s.woodpeckers and it was spiritually uplifting to see wood anemone and primrose blooming so I'm not complaining.

With Chester City not playing until Monday (watch us lose on SKY folks!) it'll be more of the same tomorrow hopefully. Until then, I'm off for a few beers.

Apus

I'm not sure I have welcomed you to BF, so let me do so now. Glad you had a good day out, and hope you get a Kingfisher soon.

Peter

ps you must be a masochist to support Chester!

Hi Peter,

Yeah. Someone's got to suport Chester and, well, they are my local team. No point supporting a side if they're not - that's the way I see it.

Anyway, the kingfisher has duly been ticked and dotted for the year - as usual, it saw me before I saw it so it was just a flash as it flew off !

Cheers,

Jon (Apus)

Congratualtions on the sightings Apus. Sounds like you had an excellent day out. I recall hiking in that area myself many years ago. I don't know why it was called World's End as it's a very scenic area - on a nice day ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back