• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DDR Carl Zeiss lens covers (1 Viewer)

richt

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone out there knows of where to buy/order objective lens caps and individual eyepiece caps (not single rainguards like ebay ) for DDR Carl Zeiss Jenoptem 10 x50 Porro's
I have some "loose ish objective caps " but these do fall off easily
Just spent v enjoyable weekend doing some birding and aviation park viewing but lost count of how many times the caps "fell off" and had to be retrieved
Here's hoping ??

Regards
Rich

richt said:
Hi all

Just wondered if anyone out there knows of where to buy/order objective lens caps and individual eyepiece caps (not single rainguards like ebay ) for DDR Carl Zeiss Jenoptem 10 x50 Porro's
I have some "loose ish objective caps " but these do fall off easily
Just spent v enjoyable weekend doing some birding and aviation park viewing but lost count of how many times the caps "fell off" and had to be retrieved
Here's hoping ??

Regards
Rich

I have a Dekarem that i used a lot, but not so much anymore (my wife dropped it from a cherry tree). If you are looking for the original caps, well, good luck. If you are looking for some functional replacement, your best bet would be some well stocked optics for birders shop, whichever that is in UK. You might have to ask and measure and tell them what size you want. That's how i got an Optolyth eyepiece cover for my Celestron binoculars. Over here a good store would be Eagle Optics.
On a side note, in 1990 i actualy found and bought in a store in Dresden a pair of rubber guards that slide and mount around the prism housings and protect them from shocks. Flea markets and ebay maybe....

You have a couple of options, Carl Zeiss Jena is now Docter Optics. You can contact Docter and get them from them. Or, you can look for something like Butler Creek lense covers. They are made for rifle scopes, but they work well on binos. Almost any descent size sportin good store stocks them, you can order them online from numerous sources including cabellas.

ranburr

Otto McDiesel said:
I have a Dekarem that i used a lot, but not so much anymore (my wife dropped it from a cherry tree). If you are looking for the original caps, well, good luck. If you are looking for some functional replacement, your best bet would be some well stocked optics for birders shop, whichever that is in UK. You might have to ask and measure and tell them what size you want. That's how i got an Optolyth eyepiece cover for my Celestron binoculars. Over here a good store would be Eagle Optics.
On a side note, in 1990 i actualy found and bought in a store in Dresden a pair of rubber guards that slide and mount around the prism housings and protect them from shocks. Flea markets and ebay maybe....

Hi Otto

Thanks for advice and interesting comment ref the rubber prism housings sorry to hear about the Dekarem accident its a shame because i feel my own multi coat Jenoptems are one of the most comfortable wide/sharp view binoculars i have looked thru and would be sad to see them damaged
Just a shame they are a bit heavy and not watertight

Regards
Rich

ranburr said:
You have a couple of options, Carl Zeiss Jena is now Docter Optics. You can contact Docter and get them from them. Or, you can look for something like Butler Creek lense covers. They are made for rifle scopes, but they work well on binos. Almost any descent size sportin good store stocks them, you can order them online from numerous sources including cabellas.

ranburr

Hi ranburr

Thanks for that tip i had forgotten Docter are still around may well check this out on the web etc
I find myself using the big "Jenoptem's" more and more these days in dry weather especially for aviation viewing due to the wide view its just a nuisance when the "customised" caps keep dropping off

Regards
Rich

albatross02 said:
Hallo,

1990 in Jena, Lothar Spaeth ( former minister president of Baden Wuertemberg, area of Stuttgart ) found Jenoptik.

http://www.jenimage.com/index.php?id=98&type=0

I do not know something about the products, if they are similar to former Carl Zeiss Jena binos or not.

Best regards
Dieter

The Zeiss Jena binoculars (named "Jenoptik and/or Dekarem, Binoctem a.s.o.") have nothing to do with the todays company of Jenoptik. The company of Jenoptik sells also binoculars, but they are of lousy quality. Fortunately Jenoptik is not forced to make money with their binocs. Their actual profession is industry leading clean room equipment for microchip production lines.

Walter

Last edited:
albatross02 said:
Hallo,

1990 in Jena, Lothar Spaeth ( former minister president of Baden Wuertemberg, area of Stuttgart ) found Jenoptik.

http://www.jenimage.com/index.php?id=98&type=0

I do not know something about the products, if they are similar to former Carl Zeiss Jena binos or not.

Best regards
Dieter

Hi Dieter

Thanks anyway but these are a different range of binoculars to the Carl Zeiss Jenoptem's

Regards
Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back