• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best book for getting into macro? (1 Viewer)

Atoman

Macro book recommendations?

Just wandered if anyone has any recommendations for macro photography books. It's something that I've been considering getting into for a while now but would like to read up on it (ie fantasize about taking brilliant pix ;) ) before deciding whether I want to splash out on extra kit.

I suppose I'm mostly interested in shooting insects, maybe some flowers.

Ideally I'd like a book that explains technique and specific setups rather than just a stack of pretty pictures.

Last edited:
One book by a respected nature photographer is "John Shaw's Closeups in Nature" by John Shaw. Go to Amazon and search for: 0817440526 (the ISBN #). It's only $15.

Thanks RAH that was top of my list, although most of the reviews of it at amazon UK are a few years old so I was a little concerned that it might be - not out of date as such (as I'm sure the principles are universal) but mainly concerned with film rather than digital. I'm sure that the principles of macro photography are equally relevant to digital however technique might be slightly different (I'm probably totally wrong on that).

I'll probably end up ordering it anyway as you can never have too many books :)

John Shaw's Closeups in Nature - arrived yesterday read it cover to cover already (it was raining).

Very good book (if a bit thin and padded out with some big pix), 90% of it still relevant to digital users. Given me lots of good ideas. It's got me searching through all my old kit for lenses to try reversing and extending etc.

Best books regarding Macro Photography

Hi,

Not many, if any books on digital macrophotography available, however two I'd start with are:

Macrophotography (learning from a master)
Photos by Gilles Martyn, text by Ronan Loaec
ISBN: 081099117-9

A lovely book with over 300 stunning photographs and a lot of useful information as well..

and

Close up on Insects, a photographer guide
By Robert Thompson
ISBN: 1-86108-238-X

Probably the best of the bunch, Robert's work is simply stunning. A Very, very good book with masses of information, only downside is the book was printed in 2002 before anyone seriously considered using anything other than medium format for publication work - Still don't let this put you off as the book contains a lot of relevant information.

Regards

Mark

Cheers for those two recommendations Mark, have got them bookmarked at amazon and they're now next on my list - have to earn some more cash first, this photography thing can get very pricey very quickly :)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back