• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3130 vs. 701rc2 (1 Viewer)

BarbatusOne

Blake Matheson
Which head is better? I have been researching this and can't glean a consensus. I would think the 701 would be the better piece given the price and the promos being put out for it, but some people have suggested the 3130 has a smoother pan?

The 3130 (or 128 as it is in the UK) is a rock solid head - it will take a heavier load than the 701rc2, but is also a heavier head. I have not used the 701, but it does seem to be an improvement on the 700 (which was nowhere near as good as the 3130). The sliding plate on the 701 can be very useful, especially if you will be using it for photography, or digiscoping.
I'd recommend finding a retailer who has both in stock and trying them out. Personally I'd choose the 3130, as it's a solid, reliable head - I used one for many years without any problems.

Having purchased the 701 some months ago (previously used the 128)For me personally I have found it to be by far a better tripod head than the 128.

POP

Firstly I found the head more fluid to use,then the moveable plate has been very useful.Thirdly and probably the most important, it is much lighter.Having reach an age after about 40years birding lugging a tripod about ,though in the early days of birding my leg was the tripod or rather the knee.I decided to buy the Manfrotto 190mf3 carbon tripod along with the 701rc2 head.It has made an enourmous difference to me in terms of carrying weight,(I should have done it a lot earlier).And that really is my reasons for preferring the 701.

POP

POP said:
Firstly I found the head more fluid to use,then the moveable plate has been very useful.Thirdly and probably the most important, it is much lighter.Having reach an age after about 40years birding lugging a tripod about ,though in the early days of birding my leg was the tripod or rather the knee.I decided to buy the Manfrotto 190mf3 carbon tripod along with the 701rc2 head.It has made an enourmous difference to me in terms of carrying weight,(I should have done it a lot earlier).And that really is my reasons for preferring the 701.

POP

Thanks

I've got the RC128 plus the 443 tripod. I like them both, but the 701 looks a bit more useful if/when I decide to get into digiscoping.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back