• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

floppy rainguard for ultravids (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
evening all, just thought i would throw in another point about the ultravids.i dont actually own a pair yet[next october] but arnt the rainguards awfully floppy and dangly.this is what i guess when i see pictures of them.i used to have bn's and i thought that design was flawless.the thin stringy piece of rubber that connects the two covers looks very flimsy?.maybe i am wrong.matt

matt green said:
evening all, just thought i would throw in another point about the ultravids.i dont actually own a pair yet[next october] but arnt the rainguards awfully floppy and dangly.this is what i guess when i see pictures of them.i used to have bn's and i thought that design was flawless.the thin stringy piece of rubber that connects the two covers looks very flimsy?.maybe i am wrong.matt

You're right Matt, it's flimsy and fits poorly. The rainguard on the Zeiss FLs is even worse: flimsy and fits so tightly it moves the eyecup setting. The older rainguards in both the Zeiss and Leica ranges were better.

Sean

matt green said:

Matt,

Yes, you are wrong. As an Ultravid owner with many hours of use, I can attest to the fact that the eyepiece rainguard works very well and is never a problem. It fits snugly and does the job it's designed to do.

The tethered objective covers also work very well...with the tethers removed! I commented on that some time ago.

John

my ultavids rain guard works fine, just dont push it all the way down onto the eyepiece, as they can be a nightmare to pull off!

my old trinovids rainguard was faultless, but the ultravids is ok to use, does the job it is meant too.

Attachments

• ultravid 10x42br.JPG
    ultravid 10x42br.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 253
I have a pair of 8x32 Ultravids and the rain guard works very well. It's a nice tight fit but not so tight it's difficult to work with. I have no problems at all.

The objective covers for the Ultravid are also of poor quality; the tether for one of mine snapped within two days. We should demand better quality in these accessories from an £850 binocular. Swarovski, while expensive bins, are generally much better in this respect IMHO.

Sean

dogfish said:
The objective covers for the Ultravid are also of poor quality; the tether for one of mine snapped within two days. We should demand better quality in these accessories from an £850 binocular. Swarovski, while expensive bins, are generally much better in this respect IMHO.

Sean,

I thought the same thing until I realized the faulty tether was a blessing in disguise. When the tether broke I quickly cut the other one and simply put them in my pocket.

The absence of that extra weight on the front end was noticeable and it was one less thing to worry about. I do think Leica should send me a replacement pair so I have backups!!

John

John Traynor said:
dogfish said:

Sean,

We have now re-designed the Ultravid objective covers. They are a better material and a totally different design. Anyone who has problems with the original ones can phone us at Leica UK (Milton Keynes) and we will send the latest version free of charge. By the way....the Trinovid BA/BN rainguard works fantastically on the Ultravid. It is available as an accessory for £8.30 + VAT. Gary.

Gary Hawkins said:
John Traynor said:
dogfish said:

Sean,

We have now re-designed the Ultravid objective covers. They are a better material and a totally different design. Anyone who has problems with the original ones can phone us at Leica UK (Milton Keynes) and we will send the latest version free of charge. By the way....the Trinovid BA/BN rainguard works fantastically on the Ultravid. It is available as an accessory for £8.30 + VAT. Gary.

Gary,

Do you have a USA contact?
Thanks.

John

John,

Sorry, my post made it sound like we in the UK had made the improvement....it was actually done by Leica in Solms.

You should be able to get the improved version from the Leica agency in the USA (Leica Camera Inc. Northvale).

Gary.

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I just got the new Objective Covers for my Douvids from a local and awesome optics shop. My binos are new and they did not come with any. I was trying to see if any of the swaros would fit but this store said they had Leicas version in stock and the price? FREE!
I would have purchased these binos from them but I found a great deal at a Audubon shop (brand new) for quite a bit less (summer sale or possible closeout) and savings was just too enormous to pass up. These objective covers are very snug which is good BUT, when you uncover the lens, they want to flip back over. If I twist them out of the way, I suspect they may tear after a couple of hundred uses. I have a pair of 8x30 SLC and the objective covers that came WITH the binos are much better. I will use what I have until it wears out but does anyone use a different objective cover with their 8+12x42 Douvids or Ultravids?

Toothless9 said:
These objective covers are very snug which is good BUT, when you uncover the lens, they want to flip back over. If I twist them out of the way, I suspect they may tear after a couple of hundred uses.

Hi,

By your description it sounds as if you have been given the old style objective covers. The new style has only been available for a week or two so the shop may not have had these in stock. The new version looks very similar to the Swarovski item. I am at work at the moment but when I get home tonight I will add a post with a picture attached showing the old and new versions.

Sorry about that. I have been busy lately and forgot to do the pictures. One is attached here. I hope it clarifies things.

Attachments

• ultracaps.jpg
    ultracaps.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 249
Better late than never...

matt green said:
...ultravids.i dont actually own a pair yet[next october] but arnt the rainguards awfully floppy and dangly.this is what i guess when i see pictures of them.i used to have bn's and i thought that design was flawless.the thin stringy piece of rubber that connects the two covers looks very flimsy?.maybe i am wrong.matt

I have just received my new 7x42 Ultravids (more about them in another thread) and tried my 'silent' Swarovski rainguards on them. Result...

A perfect fit! Just big enough to drop on with the lightest of pushes, and they flip off with the touch of a finger.

Attachments

• swarocap1.jpg
    swarocap1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 238
zurtfox said:
I have just received my new 7x42 Ultravids (more about them in another thread) and tried my 'silent' Swarovski rainguards on them. Result...

A perfect fit! Just big enough to drop on with the lightest of pushes, and they flip off with the touch of a finger.

Interesting method of attachment - very classy, indeed!

zurtfox said:

excellent idea,i have seen pictures of those swaro raingaurds on the website,dont they have an oversized strap attatchment,looks like you trimmed yours down to size hence the funky green cord.matt

ps i dont have a raingaurd fixation...honest!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back