• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Warranty (1 Viewer)

Sleeper

I was looking for any feedback regarding Nikons warranty policy. My camera has stopped working, apart from a loud clattering internally, and I am 5 days out of warranty.

I really hope they are understanding as my 4500 is as precious to as I am sure to others due to all the extras I have for various tasks.

I will be sending the camera off with a hopeful sigh.

Anybody else with similar noise or situation regards the warranty?

Thanks

They were total bas**rds when mine packed up after 15 months. Originally quoted £150+ but held out and got it cheaper. Not impressed, and sorry to hear that the noise you have is probably the autofocus mechanism.

BAH HUMBUG!

Thanks for the replies.

Hope you will be proved wrong mocha, in a nice sense of course, but I think you are right about the autofocus as the lens does not move at all.

Thanks again and fingers crossed.

Hi Sleeper,

My wife has a Nikon 4500 and the lens in hers also was making a noise, it was replaced under warranty. If its only 5 days out I would not accept No for an answer.
Best wishes
dave

Good Luck. This has happened to a lot of CP4500 including mine and Mocha's.

Mine was well out of warranty and cost c£80 to repair. I bought a 2nd hand CP995 as backup, as I don't trust that my CP4500 will keep going.

It was insisted that my camera got a knock....

Angus T said:
Good Luck. This has happened to a lot of CP4500 including mine and Mocha's.

Mine was well out of warranty and cost c£80 to repair. I bought a 2nd hand CP995 as backup, as I don't trust that my CP4500 will keep going.

It was insisted that my camera got a knock....
Hi Angus

If I was being totally honest mine did recieve a knock. The worrying thing about this seems that it may happen again as the knock that it sustained was a very small knock whilst the camera was in use. I wondered if this problem would have occured if the camera was off at the time it was knocked or was it due to the fact it was in use?

I was absolutely amazed, and I mean that, when the camera packed up.

I have sent it to Nikon UK last wed I think but as yet I have not heard any news. I am hoping that no news is good news.

If I have to pay for the repair I will have do as I have to much in accessories not to.

I wonder what the turn around on this repair will be as I am missing it already.

Looks like I will be, like yourself, be purchasing a spare pos Minolta z3

Thanks for the words Angus and fingers crossed.

Just an update

I received a letter simply stating that the camera had been recived and that they have taken notice of my explanation of the fault. It also stated that the repair would be undertaken by the 10th Aug (approx) and that would depend on parts available and work undertaken.

Sadly I am still non the wiser as regards being fixed under warranty as this was not mentioned. A price was not given for repair or any acknowledgement about the warranty.

I am a little confused as Nikon states (terms and conditions)that unless a written instruction was given to quote then they will just go ahead and repair so as you can see...limbo!

Is this one of those letters thats telling me that there is nothing to tell? Ha Ha

Still got fingers crossed.

I have been away from the 18th - 23rd for the bird fair.

As stated earlier the repair was supposed to be finished by the 10th Aug but sadly nothing turned up. I emailed them before I went away and after checking my emails on return Nikon replied stating that the repair should be with me on the 20th.

I have not been in work ( that being the delivery address ) since so I am hopeful that it will be there.

It also appears that the repair has been done FOC under warranty. I am really pleased about that and appreciate Nikons helpfulness in this.

Only problem I had no camera for the bird fair so I snapped up Minolta Z3 whilst there for £132 which seemed like a bargain.

All in all, and assuming the repair is effective, it's a thumbs up for Nikon.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back