• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request for Info: Sierra Nevada, Spain. (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

I'm going for a walking holiday in the Sierra Nevada in the first week of September. Information on walks and birding will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jane

Jane Turner said:
I'm going for a walking holiday in the Sierra Nevada in the first week of September. Information on walks and birding will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jane

Where abouts are you going to in the Sierras, its quite a big place 400 miles long chain. Usually we talk about east or west as there are only a few places (Yosemite, Tahoe) where you can easily cross over.

Andrew Rowlands said:
Thanks for clearing that up Jane. Title now modified :t:!

Sorry my mistake shouldn't be so California centric

By the way its a wonderful place to travel, 14,000 ft mountains no roads, true wilderness.

Jane Turner said:
Ah yes I was talking Spain! Sorry for my lack of geographical awareness!

NO need to apologise - you did specify Spain!
Laurence Rose's "Where to watch birds in Spain and Portugal" (Hamlyn Birdwatching Guides series) mentions a number of species, including alpine accentors, rock and ortolan buntings, black wheatears and 10 species of diurnal raptors.
By the way (anyone), the book was published in 1995. Is there a newer edition?

Allen S. Moore

Jane Turner said:

Thanks in advance

Jane

Hi Jane

Probably not much help as I drove up the Sierra Nevada in April / May on the two times I went there but here is an extract from my trip report from April 2003. I don't know how much help it will be but here goes:

April 23rd
Trip to the Sierra Nevada.
This was a day of not high species sightings but what were seen were quality as well as some of the most stunning scenery I have ever seen. Sierra Nevada was still covered in Snow and there were skiers and snowboarders out in force here. The road from the café area to Pico de Veleta was closed due to snow but even here; at over 8,500 feet it was hot. It seemed unreal that you could walk in thick snow whilst being so hot that you had to walk with shorts and a sleeveless shirt on. The road we travelled on is the highest road in Europe according to Laurence Rose’ Where to watch birds in Spain and Portugal.

We started out very early and didn’t stop until we reached km 28 on the final road up the Sierra Nevada towards Solynieve.
Km 28
There is a place where you can park safely off the road. It is a small wooded area and initially I stopped to relieve myself. I was thankful that I did as just in front of me was a beautiful Subalpine Warbler (the only one seen on the holiday, although Ros reckons she saw one in a wooded area we visited later in the week at Istans) to the right of me and a Bonelli’s Warbler (one of only two seen on the holiday) to the left of me. The other birds seen were Magpie and quite a few Coal Tit.

Outskirts of Solynieve.
Black Redstarts (at least 5) as well as a few Choughs flying around.

Parador Hotel (directly above the ski resort of Solynieve)
There is a large concrete platform here that sticks out from the mountainside and overlooks Solynieve. We met two Scottish birders here and they had been watching two Alpine Accentors only moments before our arrival but try as we did we couldn’t locate them. I was gutted, as this is a bird I have long wanted on my list. As a bonus we did have up to 20 Rock Sparrow flying over our heads as well as quite a few Crag Martin plus a lone Wheatear. A Black Redstart landed on a post only 5 feet away from me. Just as I was about to take, what would have been a cracking photo of it, it flew off. Typical!

Above Café area on Ski slope.
There is a building here with a green roof on it. It had a sheer drop to the side of it with a metal railing between you and a very severe drop but what views. Whilst here I was watching a cracking Black Redstart when Ros shouted “what are those two birds that have just landed over there”. I could have kissed her, in fact I did. I put my scope up on them and a stunning pair of Alpine Accentors filled my view. What superb looking birds these are amongst the snow. At last I had achieved a major target bird of mine. They were the only ones seen this holiday as well.

After a little while we left to go home but about 1km down from the café we came across a tatty looking Rock Bunting. Further down, at km 31 we came across a couple of Rock Doves flying over the road.

Back down this road, near the bottom, you begin to see a large Reservoir. You have to take a road to your right just before you rejoin the main road to Grenada. Follow the signs for Guejja-sierra. We didn’t see too much here but it has potential as this reservoir has just been built. But what scenery with the snow clad peaks as backdrop to a beautiful blue water. A few photos were taken here. We heard quite a few European Bee-eaters here but we couldn’t find them. Birds added to our list here were, Blackcap and Fan-tailed Warbler. A few Swallow were flying around as well.

I'm interested that the Alpine Accentors were there in late April. I was looking for them this February at Puerto de las Palomas, near Grazalema, but failed to find them. Are they resident/breeders in the Sierra Nevada? I'm off to Andalusia in September and If they are present as residents it may be worth a look at your site.

regards

Alan.

Alan Seaton said:
I'm interested that the Alpine Accentors were there in late April. I was looking for them this February at Puerto de las Palomas, near Grazalema, but failed to find them. Are they resident/breeders in the Sierra Nevada? I'm off to Andalusia in September and If they are present as residents it may be worth a look at your site.

regards

Alan.

I am told that normally it is a fairly reliable area to look for them but we went there a year later and couldn't find them. Still that's birding for you.

Might be worth a look, then. Thanks.

I've just noticed the rain's stopped for the first time in 48 hours. I'm off out now to see if it's dropped anything in.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back