• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you id this bat? (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
Hi all,
Spent last night Storm Petrel ringing in North Wales. I'll post a full report on that later on, however during the night several pipistrelle bats were flying around, which all managed to avoid our net, but one bat, bigger than pipistrelle went straight in. I took a photo and wondered if anybody could identify it for me. We tentitively id'd it as Daubenton's, but don't know enough about bats to be sure. We were right by the sea in North Wales.

The bat was released ok and flew away happily, even if it looks a bit annoyed in the photo!

Thanks

Colin

Attachments

• 31-07-05 Bat.jpg
    31-07-05 Bat.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 226
brianhstone said:
A 'don't try this at home' warning coming up. Handling bats, especially unprotected, is a real no no. See this article if you need convincing:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/2509375.stm

Sorry I don't have books to hand to help with the ID.

I don't need convincing. We were very wary of the bat. It was being held in this way to avoid tangling itself further in the net, while somebody else went to get the gloves. However, it needed to be removed from the net without damaging either the bat or the net, and this was successfully achieved.

Colin

Don't have any books to hand, but from what I remember Daubenton's is paler underneath. The size and colour of this individual look OK for Noctule.

Stuart

Going from a Guide book I am inclined to agree with Noctule. A Daubenton has a wingspan of 10" and short ears whereas the Noctule is 14" and has larger rounded ears.

That's defnitely one very peeved Noctule ;)

Looks even bigger than I remember seeing them...though I've never had one close up before.

Gill

brianhstone said:
A 'don't try this at home' warning coming up. Handling bats, especially unprotected, is a real no no. .

Unfortunately, when mist-netting, if a bat gets caught, you need to work without gloves - it's a delicate job to realise either birds or bats and needs the 'finger feel'. Just need to keep your fingers the correct side of those chompers! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back