• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fort Wayne, 3-23-03, morning (1 Viewer)

Beverlybaynes

Mod Squad
I took this weekend's guest artist out to the airport this morning, then decided to stop at Fox Island County Park, just a couple miles away. The drive over there gave me my first visual of the year of an Eastern Meadowlark.

I spent about 45 minutes at the old nature center, watching the feeders. It was a fairly routine morning with:

Northern Cardinal
Dark-Eyed Junco
American Goldfinch
Song Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
White-Breasted Nuthatch
American Robins
Downy Woodpecker
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Turkey Vulture (soaring overhead)
Brown-Headed Cowbird

I walked over to the new nature center and checked out the pond behind it, to find juncos, robins and chipping sparrows bathing in the shallow edges.
A Pileated Woodpecker could be heard off in the woods behind the pond calling and drumming.

A quick drive back by the 'pasture' before leaving gave me Eastern Bluebirds and more Song Sparrows, along with my first Eastern Phoebe of the year.

I stopped at some flooded fields on my way back into town, and spied Blue-Winged Teal and Northern Shovelers among the Mallards and Canada Geese. More Meadowlarks, too, along with some Killdeer.

I have a ducking trip this afternoon at a city reservoir out in Amish country this afternoon, so will be posting another report later.

But now, Indiana University basketball!! Go Hoosiers!!

That's a fairly routine morning ? My National Geographic guide (3rd ed) has been working overtime as I look all these up - next time, can you post a collage of all of the birds you mention, so we can see them please ?

Tony

BTW, I keep meaning to ask - is Fort Wayne anywhere near Fort Baxter ?

Last edited:
Tony, if I had any way to post photos, I would do so.

Not only do I not only a camera, I don't have a computer. My internet access is strictly that: access through a 'box' on top of my TV. No hard drive, no mouse, etc.
Sorry! (Puts paid to my idea of a bird race map, doesn't it?)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back