• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Rats (1 Viewer)

I think there's an island in the Firth of Forth where you still get them but I can't remember which one. As far as I'm aware they're pretty much extinct on the British mainland - an endangered species I suppose.

I may be making this up (in other words, my memory thinks it's right, but my natural caution says treat it with a pinch of salt ;) ) but I seem to recall there being small populations on the Isle of Wight / a Suffolk port town (Felixstowe?). Will try and find some evidence to substantiate these wild imaginings.

ce

Okay, not going quite as mad as I thought - it seems they're still to be found in scattered pockets, unsurprisingly all around coastal locations. Liverpool had an extant population until the late 80's at least, but the most authorative status I can find on them comes from an English Nature paper published in 2002:

http://www.english-nature.org.uk/news/news_photo/LundyProjectSummary2.pdf

which says of the UK population

Whilst Lundy is one of the few strongholds for the black rat, the species is global and widespread in southern Europe and present on other islands around the UK and Ireland (Twigg et al, in press).

For example, black rats occur on:

__ all three of the Shiant Islands in the Inner Hebrides;
__ on Lambay Island, off Dublin, where brown rats may also be present;
__ recent records from at least one of the islands in the Firth of Forth;
__ they are possibly present on an island in Wexford Slobs, off the SE coast of Ireland;
__ they have a recent history at Kew on the Thames, although their current status there is unknown;
__ they may also be present on the banks of the Thames at Tilbury docks
__ and possibly still on Sark and Alderney in Channel Islands.

The 2000 Lancashire Bird Report says of the persistent references to their presence in Liverpool:

Probably extinct in the area, despite being present from about the 3rd century onwards. It may still be found from ship-borne introductions in to the ports and warehouses of Liverpool. The last known locations in Liverpool (in the late 1970s to early 1980s) were the sites of St John's Market in the City Centre and a warehouse on the Waterloo Dock, now converted into flats - but they were still present in at least one warehouse across the Mersey in Birkenhead as recently as the late 1980s. Identification is not straightforward as there are black forms of Brown Rat.

And the BBC reported some from Cornwall in 1999:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/337680.stm

That's the best I can do for now.

ce

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back