• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hertfordshire & golden plovers (1 Viewer)

Alastair Rae

London birder
Given the time of year, with migrants not yet arriving in large numbers, the best use of a beautiful Sunday was a walk in the countryside. In our case, this took us a few miles from Hemel Hempstead.

I wasn't really expecting much on the bird front so we were delighted to come across a flock of 200 Golden Plover with about 1 in 10 in gorgeous breeding plumage.

They were very flighty and reluctant to settle so I guess they must have been passing through, heading somewhere up north.

what great sight. I am sure they are moving North now & are one of the birds taht can be seen migrating during the day.

CJ

Alistair

I was in Norfolk yesterday and stopped by Choseley drying barns near to Titchwell. A couple of fields to the North were about 300-400 Golden Plovers scattered around the whole field. As I watched them I heard more calling and looked up to see at least another 500-600 more coming in. Brilliant sight as most of them were in Summer plumage. Also had loads of Grey Plover in and around Titchwell looking like white ghosts. This really is a lovely time of the year.

One other remarkable sighting was in a field to the left of Weeting Heath Stone Curlew site. I had stopped to look at a grazing deer. As I did so I thought that my eyes were playing tricks on me as the ground seemed to be moving all around the animal. When I put my scope up I was amazed to see literally thousands of Fieldfare moving around and feeding the whole length and breadth of the field, and it wasn't a small field either.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back