• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with norfolk holiday PLEASE!! (1 Viewer)

mikealison

The wife and I have decided to go to Norfolk for our holidays. Last time we went, we stay near cromer which was an ideal base for going to cley marshes. We also visited titchwell and snettisham.

This time were staying here:

Broadlands
Caravan Club Site
Johnson Street
Ludham
Great Yarmouth
NR29 5NY
England.

Could anybody advise us please, as to some good birding spots nearby for us to visit while were there.
Thanks
Mike

Wotcha, you're really near Rush Hills scrape ... (spoonbills & Pectoral sandpiper this last week anyway) .... Park at Potter Heigham church, walk up the lane and where it takes a sharp left you take the footpath to the right and its about 15 minute walk ... better if you look at OS 134 .. church at TG 419 200, Rush Hill hide at TG 424 209 and the footpath is marked on the map.

Also ... Alderfen Broad is quiet but lovely. Down the rough track at Threehammer Common TG346 196 .... Barton Broad seating area may be a bit busy with holidaymakers but its ok, tg 357 207, down the boardwalk.

Nearby also Winterton Dunes NR, Breydon Water near Yarmouth, Burgh Castle is nice as well. ... Horsey road, the B1159 from the car park at Horsey corner to West Somerton is worth a ride along you might see the Cranes or a few Marsh Harriers.

Ludham marshes NR, circular walk is a quiet place. Park near Womack Water in the village and follow the track to & along the river

Hickling Broad NWT, TG 428 221

theres a few ideas all within about 10 miles or so ...let me know if you want to go further afield

Last edited:
A couple more ... Upton Fen NWT near Acle, TG 380 136 lovely place and no-one ever there. Strumpshaw RSPB, near Brundall is alright as well.

Nice place for a caravan site btw

Last edited:
Hi Mike,
Don't know if this is too far for you but I would definitely try Walberswick and Minsmere from Ludham. Head south from Gt Yarmouth on the A12 and after the Blyth estuary turn East onto local roads. Minsmere is probably one of the best reserves in England for a day's birding. Walberswick marshes can be very good at this time of yhear as the migration starts up.
Have a great time
Keith

mikealison said:
The wife and I have decided to go to Norfolk for our holidays. Last time we went, we stay near cromer which was an ideal base for going to cley marshes. We also visited titchwell and snettisham.

This time were staying here:

Broadlands
Caravan Club Site
Johnson Street
Ludham
Great Yarmouth
NR29 5NY
England.

Could anybody advise us please, as to some good birding spots nearby for us to visit while were there.
Thanks
Mike

There's a cemetary in Great Yarmouth which seems to pick up the odd migrant. My only experience of it is dipping a Bluetail there one October a few years back, but at the time it was playing host to Black Redstart, Long-eared Owl and either Pallas's or Yellow-browed Warbler (I forget which). Now I'm not suggesting any of these might put in an appearance at this time of year, but it won't be long before a few passerine migrants start hitting the east coast, so it might be worth an early morning gander, if conditions are right.

James

Thanks for the replies. I've just got back, didn't get chance to read to replies before I went. I did try minsmere and walberswick while I was there. Minsmere is fantastic. I'll be doing a report as soon as I can shrink all the pictures that I want to put on it

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back