• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABAlist queries (1 Viewer)

rwkno1

Please could someone help this confused birder..........

Which of the following are now considered full species or still considered subspecies.

1)Little Tern/ Least Tern
2)Tufted Titmouse/ Black crested Titmouse
3) Eurasian Teal/ Green Winged Teal

As I saw all bar Little Tern and Eurasian Teal in the US I'm particulary interested in the ABA list and thoughts from our US friends or those European birders who have been stateside recently

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm going round in circles

Thanks
Rob

Black-crested titmouse definitely yes. The other two I think no, but I do not have the latest ABA checklist. Is it on their website?
From an English perspective all three are good species.

Steve

rwkno1 said:
Please could someone help this confused birder..........

Which of the following are now considered full species or still considered subspecies.

1)Little Tern/ Least Tern
2)Tufted Titmouse/ Black crested Titmouse
3) Eurasian Teal/ Green Winged Teal

As I saw all bar Little Tern and Eurasian Teal in the US I'm particulary interested in the ABA list and thoughts from our US friends or those European birders who have been stateside recently

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm going round in circles

Thanks
Rob

Little Tern has never been seen in the ABA Area, so it's not on the checklist (and I'm not even sure whether the ABA considers it a separate species or not).

Black-crested Titmouse is definitely on the ABA checklist. It was split from Tufted Titmouse a couple of years ago.

The ABA does not yet recognize the split of Eurasian Teal and Green-winged Teal. So anyone seeing the Eurasian Teal in the ABA Area has to count it as a Green-winged Teal on an ABA Area List, but can count is as a Eurasian Teal on a World List. This listing thing can sure get confusing.

Dave

As far as the first query is concerned,
my AOU list contains Least Tern (Sterna antillarum)and Little Tern (Sterna albifrons), the latter with the designation "H", where

"H" = recorded in AOU area only from Hawaii;

Thanks for all these replies guys, very useful. It sounds as if on a world list basis I can count all three. Trevor have you got a link to the AOU list that shows the "H" against Little Tern please?

Cheers

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back