• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Texas in March 2006 (1 Viewer)

Sandpiper

Mike Powell
I would be very happy if any Texan members could suggest sites to visit at the end of March next year. I will be flying in to Houston for a two week stay and hope to explore part of the Gulf Coast as far south as Rockport and possibly a little way inland.

Spring is a great time for visiting Texas. You might be a tad early for the songbird migrations though. Areas around Houston that come to mind are:
Anahuac NWR
Brazos Bend State Park
Bolivar Flats
Lots of areas in Galveston (see the Houston Audubon website for detail locations)
High Island
Smith's Point
The Audubon park in west Houston.

Texas has a "Great Birding Trail" with many sites identified. Should be able to find this on the Web.

Hopefully some of the Texas members will give you more details.

end of march can be good for raptor migration

Here is a link to my trip report of my visit to Texas end of March/early April 2000:

http://peachfront.diaryland.com/textour00.html

This was a raptor tour headed by Bill Clark, hence the emphasis on raptors. There is plenty of explore and the Texas Gulf Coast Birding Trail is very well marked.

Sandpiper said:
I would be very happy if any Texan members could suggest sites to visit at the end of March next year. I will be flying in to Houston for a two week stay and hope to explore part of the Gulf Coast as far south as Rockport and possibly a little way inland.

I wholly concur with Dave Smith's suggestions, and only add that many of South Texas's specialty birds are often found in the Corpus Christi area, just a bit south of Rockport. Hazel Bazemore Park is one notable example.

I live in Houston, so please feel free to contact me as you firm up your target species list and/or itinerary.

Steve Gross
Houston

Thanks to Dave, peachfront and Steve for your valuable help.
Steve, perhaps I could contact you privately nearer the time for more information.

Sandpiper:

Feel free to contact me. If it works out, I'd be happy to meet up with you for some birding. I enjoy sharing the birds of Texas!

Steve

Sandpiper:
We met Steve on a trip to Houston and he gave us a good introduction to the local birds. And be sure to ask him to show you his secret Barred Owl haunt!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back